Monday, February 7, 2011

A lesson in lighting


Here are my new task lamps. I give them high marks for affordability, sturdy construction and shiny good looks.

There's only one wee tiny little problem. The light is terrible.

This is what marks the difference between real interior decorators and dilettantes like myself. A real decorator would know that you can't light an entire room with two task lamps. I don't know what I was thinking. It is exactly like having two flashlights nex to the bed - harsh and at the same time inadequate.

This means I now need more lighting, and something other than the Close Encounters of the Third Kind ceiling light we currently have (known in design circles by the technical term 'boob light').


Some of you may remember my affection for Lindsey Bond's place. Did you notice she uses cheapie paper lanterns as her overhead lighting? I'm liking this. But I've been known to be wrong in my likes.

What do you real decorator people think?

11 comments:

  1. Oh well, at least it all looks good minus the lighting issue...

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you can change out the boob fixture I say go for it! If not IKEA has the big paper lanterns and plug in pendant kits (work well if you have a plug that is on a light switch, otherwise you'll go nuts) You can also have an electrical whizz convert the pendant kit into a hard wire and then you can really anything on it.
    Am I just making this more confusing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the look of the lamps! Too bad they aren't enough light... = / I am really into chandeliers in the bedroom (though, who isn't..haha). I like some of the simple, sleek, and inexpensive Ikea ones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm by no means a real decorator, but I don't think a paper lantern goes with your headboard (and I LOVE your headboard). What about a Moravian star pendant?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well that stinks that your lamps didn't give off enough light. They sure are cute. And as for the paper lantern, I have been liking the embellished versions of them. Like this one http://www.parlourhomeblog.com/p/my-home.html or this might be an option, http://www.switcheroom.com/2011/01/our-brand-new-chandelier-diy-style.html. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder whether it would help to change the lightbulbs to something more mellow and a less harsh shade of white?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all the good tips. I like Moravian stars and I will check out the DIYs.

    I did switch out the bulbs and I also made a "diffuser" out of paper, which has helped.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did plan on using the paper lantern in my guest bedroom but it looked cheap and too big - I think my ceiling is just too low. If you see in the photo above the ceiling is really high. I guess it depends on how high your ceiling is? Mine is only 8 feet high.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These lamps are kinda like high heels they suck but look so purty!

    Your bedroom is the bomb diggity. Hope you find a solution.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elisa, my ceilings are low, so thanks for the warning. Bri, you are so right about heels/poorly lit lamps.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm having much the same dilemma in my home. I think that given the price, it might be worth trying a large paper lantern, just to see if it works.

    ReplyDelete