Tuesday, February 22, 2011

My DIY: Book friendly wallet clutch


At long last, my current version of a DIY book clutch.

This particular DIY is inspired by Kate Spade's book clutch, which is $325. Mine cost basically nothing, and, most importantly, no actual books were harmed in the making of this clutch.


This clutch allows you to make a fully customizable cover - your favorite obscure book without cutting up your favorite obscure book.

On the down side, it's a wallet clutch, which means it holds only wallet things - money, credit cards and papers. No room for lipstick.


The shell of the book is made from a DVD case.

You will replace the DVD title cover with your own custom "book cover." To do this, you will need a high resolution image of a vintage book cover that is at least 11 inches by 7 1/4 inches.

If you can't find one online, you can scan a favorite book or download the cover I used, which is available here. (I chose The Great Gatsby for its Long Island association.) Print it and trim to fit inside the clear sleeve of the DVD case.

Using a razor blade, cut out the ring that holds the DVD in place. You can also cut out any clips or tabs that you don't find attractive. (I kept some since I can clip papers to them.)


Trim some black velvet (or black felt) to fit inside the case.


Glue the fabric to the inside of the case.


Glue a 4 1/2 inch diameter mirror (such as from an old compact) into the depression where a DVD would normally go.

Glue a fancy button to the edge of the case as a faux purse latch.

As an option, you can sew or glue pockets and holders.


Look smart while carrying your coupons, gum, wads of cash and Metro Card. Make a different book for every outfit.

19 comments:

  1. This is awesome! I remember being in BK once and seeing a girl with a nintendo game boy purse. I was quite intrigued how that Hack worked. Never had the guts to go up and ask her though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's ever so clever! And you hold it beautifully. I'm tempted to go for a variant of it and cover all my ugly, garish DVDs with pretty book covers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super clever. This trend reminds me of the cigar box purse trend about a decade ago -- remember that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! Great idea!

    Haley @ Cardigan Junkie
    www.cardiganjunkie.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember cigar box purses. Also magazine purses. Those are still pretty cool. Wish I had my old ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very Clever! Lord knows I have enough DVD covers to stock all the Kate Spade stores with your versions!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great choice of book and I like the button detail.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am in love with your blog and was going to email you but I couldn't find your email address anywhere so here it is, I love your blog and am always checking it out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a brilliant idea! I just love it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know how I missed this- genius! Off to tweet immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  11. AWESOME, I look forward to making these, maybe add some bling and give for Christmas presents.

    ReplyDelete
  12. cool! what type of glue you used?

    ReplyDelete
  13. i did this with an old vhs tape case in the same style n though im not finished i LOVE it https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/559227_10200959064763715_91275151_n.jpg see it here

    ReplyDelete