Tuesday, May 8, 2012

My DIY jewelry display board


Those of you who have been with me for awhile may recall my grandmother's enormous pin collection.

About a million years ago I also made a Breton stripe memo board from dollar store supplies.

Then about a thousand years later, I saw Jenny Komenda's modern art made from her grandmother's vintage buttons.


I kind of put it all together and arranged my grandmother's pins by color on my striped board.


Now I can look at and enjoy the pins every day (and easily pick one out to wear), which is a lot nice than having them sit in a box.



I also toyed with the idea of coral as ring display but kept giving myself scratches.


Have you found a neat way to display or use an heirloom?

14 comments:

  1. Love this idea, and also the tutorial for the Breton stripe memo board. Wish I had more brooches. Most of my jewelry heirlooms are unfortunately stashed in boxes in my dressers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful collection-- these certainly need to be out! Ps- your closet is so wonderfully organized!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beyond fabulous and I could not possibly love it anymore! Pinning, now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you have the coolest cupboard ever! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's an absolutely beautiful brooch display. And look how tidy your dressing room is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much. Of course I would never post a photo of its normal state of disarray.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful way to display the collection! They become art!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is the most amazing collection!!! And I can't think of a cooler way to display them, so perfect! Just hopped over from Haley's blog to meet ya, I think I'll stay a while (c:

    ReplyDelete
  9. So beautiful! What a great and artistic way to display them! I love the rings on the coral too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so envious of your grandma's collection. So glad you found a way to display them. It's like a wall art plus jewelry organizer all in one. Versatility at its best! Pinning now!

    Thanks for the link on skirt out of a shirt DIY. That's exactly what I had in mind too. Or the second option for me is same type skirt+asymmetric hemline. Really appreciate you thought of me!

    xx
    Maya

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey this is a lovely display! I was wondering how you stick them in and get them to stay? Have you just pushed the backing a in without having to fasten them? Thanks for any answers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chloe. Thanks. I just stick the pin in. I don't completely fasten them.

      Delete
  12. Hey this is a lovely display! I was wondering how you stick them in and get them to stay? Have you just pushed the backing a in without having to fasten them? Thanks for any answers

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh great! Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete