Wednesday, May 22, 2013

My DIY closet makeover


Here are few closet cleaning tips that worked for me. And photographic evidence that it looked good for even a minute.

As mentioned earlier, my goal this year was to get real with my closet - in other words to think about what I really tend to wear.

Belts are one thing I have a lot of. But I hardly ever wear a belt. So I threw out belts by the handful. Above are the freshly organized survivors.


Clothes are no longer crammed like the 2 train at rush hour. I came to the conclusion that I rarely wear red, purple, lavender, or pink. So I got rid of that whole end of the rainbow, except for a couple of items in coral and yellow.

This has done miracles for me. If everything you've got is either blue or green or a neutral - then everything goes with everything. Close your eyes and grab any top and any bottom and they will be pretty much fine together.



Jackets have been cut back to four and probably could be further reduced to one or two. Shirts and blouses are also blue, green or neutral.


Then there are the shoes and jewelry. Two purges and still out of control. It's OK. I'm auditioning for The Coveteur.

7 comments:

  1. Looks great! Colour blocking is the way forward, makes it so much easier to find things, besides being easy on the eyes. I am green with envy over your huge wardrobe, tiny european apartments just don't have the space...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you. My last closet was as wide as my shoulders. No room for fluff there.

      Delete
  2. Wow! I am envying you right now. My closet is a total mess :(

    Good job! I bet it even feels good to be able to see everything in your closet as opposed to not even being able to walk in (as it is my case).

    xx
    Maya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice! I'm jealous :) How do you keep your shoes looking so nice? I feel like I only have to wear mine a couple times before there is a scuff on the toe and the insides are dirty. Yours all look brand new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite what street fashion photogs would have you believe, most New Yorkers haul around an extra set of shoes. The cute shoes ride around in a bag and only come out once you are indoors. The schlep shoes take all the abuse.

      My schlep shoes currently have a flapping strap and no soles left.

      Delete
  4. Nice! I'm jealous :) How do you keep your shoes looking so nice? I only have to wear mine a couple times before there's a scuff on the toe and the insides are dirty. Yours all look brand new!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Had to post a comment and Elissa said the same thing - your shoes all look so lovely!!
    Great job with the makeover, and you've inspired me to remove half the stuff I know I'll never wear

    ReplyDelete