Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Mystery objects



One of the fun things about acquiring items from the street is trying to figure out what on earth they are.

The top item was found inside a cute black Liz Claiborne purse I picked up. The round piece has a felted bottom, and the wire-y part swivels. I had to ask about 45 people before I found out what it was. What's your guess? (I'll give you the answer at the bottom of this post.)

The next item is something I picked up yesterday. I found all of these glass pieces in a shoebox labeled 'glass parts from hallway chandelier' so obviously they are parts of a chandelier. The beveled glass panels I get. What I do not get are the 98 glass swizzle sticks. Where do they fit in? (I have yet to find the non-glass parts of this chandelier and have no idea what I'm going to do with these orphaned pieces. Any ideas?)



(Drum roll.) The first item is a purse hook. You slide it over the edge of a table and hook your purse underneath so it doesn't have to touch the floor. La-de-da.

Have you ever found a mystery object?

11 comments:

  1. I didn't have to guess on the first item as there is an identical one lying at the bottom of my purse. Trust me, in some restaurants it's a must-have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've seen those purse hooks before on sale at a local boutique and always though they'd be pretty helpful. nice find (and no i did not know what it was at first.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm... you could put the glass sticks in a low vase or pot in the sunlight and let them sparkle. The panels... maybe link them together with somewhat heavy wire (copper?)in a decorative manner and hang it on the wall like a banner?

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you find a lot of things like that, you could set up a shop on Etsy.com and sell "found" items to artists as supplies for their projects. They LOVE found, re-claimed, and recycled materials. That site is amazing for DIY ideas, too. I have a shop (www.thetwistedtree.etsy.com) so I can tell you that the site is very user-friendly. It's $0.20 to list an item for 3 or 4 months and they take 3.5% commission, so it's much better than Ebay. Check it out... just don't get sucked in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tip.

    BTW, www.brokelyn.com has a pretty good article about how to succeed on Etsy. (I did not know this, but Etsy is a Brooklyn-based business.)

    There's a link to the article on the home page.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I actually had no idea what that first item was. Are you going to use it now that you know? :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for letting me know about the article. Etsy is SO huge... I should really find another site to get started on... but it really is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alek, I have not used these handy hooks yet. Maybe because I never go out to eat, which seems like the most practical time to hook up your purse.

    Karen, have you ever considered selling Lake Erie driftwood on Etsy?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is the purse hook also supposed to help guard against theft? At one stage in England, there was a spate of handbags going missing from the backs of chairs in restaurants and cafes. Some (newer) cafes even started installing hooks under their tables to give a place to put the bag.

    It's a great idea, although I've never owned one. Looks cute though!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My guess is the swizzle sticks hung in a circle in the center of the beveled glass pains. I think I have seen that chandelier before... Given the number on them it is also possible that they formed the outside ring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That could be.

    I wonder how they attached. There is no hole for a string or wire.

    ReplyDelete