Monday, July 6, 2009

Before and After: From foam packing to outdoor ottoman


When it comes to DIYs, there's a fine line between hipster upcycler and trailer trash. I'm not sure where I fall with this one.

As you may have read earlier, Tom broke his foot, and I have been on the hunt for a soft outdoor ottoman that costs almost nothing that he could prop his cast on. Also, I'd prefer something I don't have to store all winter.

This week I came across a tailored skirted ottoman slipcover someone was tossing. I had no use whatsoever for a custom skirted ottoman slipcover, but I picked it up anyway. Later, I got the idea to somehow stuff it.

I found a big chunk of packing foam at work, which I cut down to size, squeezed the slipcover over it and pinned the traditional skirt up underneath. Voila! A light and disposable soft outdoor ottoman that cost me nothing but my pride.


When I brought it home, Tom laughed until he was wet around the eyes.

5 comments:

  1. It looks great - I would have never known it was anything but a proper ottoman. And I'm with you about not having to store stuff in the winter. Who has the room? Or can be bothered?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it looks perfectly respectable to me!

    Besides, it has a purpose and isn't meant to just be decorative... and its purpose is temporary.

    I'd say you did pretty good for a temporary, utilitarian item!

    ReplyDelete
  3. pride is overrated! i walk the line of "hipster upcycler and trailer trash" all the time! nothing wrong with that...at least that's what i keep telling myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How did I not know until now, August 17, 2009, that Tom broke his foot?

    ReplyDelete