Wednesday, June 19, 2013

My DIY faux raffia bracelets



I made this set of summery faux raffia bracelets using a mystery dollar store material. Can you guess what it is?


Did you guess poly rope?

This project was inspired by a raffia kumihimo bracelet project at El Cuaderno de Ideas. You could use raffia for this project and end up with a somewhat skinnier bracelet. The dollar store rope strands are thicker and a bit cheaper than raffia (although you won't break the bank with raffia, that's for sure.)
 
Instead of kumihimo, you use lanyard knots. To make a lanyard knot, see this video and photo tutorial.
 
See the full tutorial at Dollar Store Crafts.  Make a stack. They're cheap.
 
 

7 comments:

  1. These are fantastic. I've never tried lanyard braiding before so I hope it's not too tough to learn. Love the colors you chose!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The rope color is what keeps me coming back to the dollar store.

      Delete
  2. I remember the other bracelets you made with these ropes! Even if it's poly rope looks really like raffia, and love the beachy charms :)

    xox,d.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! I like how you took the rope apart to make it work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. A local raffia shortage calls for MacGyver skills.

      Delete
  4. Samantha, this is the coolest!! They look so glam!

    ReplyDelete