Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Pinned It/Wore It - Emerald green skirt two ways


Welcome back to lessons in trying to wear your Pinterest Style board. Today you will be introduced to a life-changing skirt and the secret to coping with waist pleats.


Here's our Pinterest inspiration above, which comes from Daily Crush.


Here's my take on it.  The lace top is thrifted. The purse also was thrifted, and I repaired the zipper.


The bracelet is vintage from my mom's stash and looks very Chanel in my opinion.


I got the skirt for about $20 at Annie Sez, and it's the best $20 I've spent in a long time.

If you don't have an Annie Sez in town, here are a few other options, all available online and long enough to be work appropriate:
  • Zara has an emerald pencil skirt for $59.90.
  • JCP has Liz Claiborne cotton/spandex green pencil skirts on sale for $24.99.
  • Then there's the Kingdom of Colorful Pencil Skirts, J. Crew, which has a green one on sale for $56.00.
  • Dillards has green Calvin Klein pencil skirts for $47.40.
  • Macy's has Ellen Tracy green pencil skirts for $29.98.
Over a year ago I read a post on the blog Putting Me Together about how colored bottoms expand your wardrobe more than colored tops.  I did not quite grasp it at the time, even with the pinnable infographic. But it's true. I wear this skirt twice a week. My closet feels three times its original size.

To see some of the possibilities, check out the inspiration below.





Paris Fashion Week from Fab Sugar, J. Crew, Marni green dress bottom from Gal Meets Glam, green skirt and striped top from Perfection Possibilities, source unknown, Green skirt and stripe top at SwellMayde, green skirt and scarf print top from Extra Petite, turquoise green skirt at Daily Crush.

While we are on the subject of skirts, let's talk about pleats. Up until my Annie Sez purchase, I was getting by with a thrift store skirt with circa 1990s waist pleats and (cringe) a bit of elastic.

The difference isn't huge, as you can see below, but I did immediately lose three pounds by wearing a "modern fit" skirt. Modern fit skirts sit a little lower and have no embellishments around the waist. This makes them super flexible - they look good with just about any kind of top.

I can't believe it took me this long in life to figure this out but - waist pleats can only be worn with a top that is tucked in.


I considered dumping my thrift store skirt, but it was silk and this terrific color and then I saw the dress below from Marc Jacobs. It was hundreds of dollars and is sold out.


Did you see that? ELASTIC!

If Marc Jacobs can peddle a green elastic waistband, then I can rethink my 1990s skirt.

Also check out Emerson Fry's skirt below, also hundreds of dollars and sold out.  (And Banana Republic is pushing waist pleats. I am on trend!)


So I kept the thrift store skirt. With a tucked in semi-loose blouse or t-shirt, it still works.


Have you joined the world of colored bottoms? Are you feeling waist pleats?

2 comments:

  1. I'm overwhelmed by all the useful information in this post! I'm with you-- I found adding two pairs of colored pants last fall definitely expanded my wardrobe options.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Timely post! I recently bought a green skirt, although it's definitely more apple than emerald. I love the photos you found - such a happy garment!

    ReplyDelete