Monday, June 24, 2013

30 DIYs with leather



I've updated my popular "20 DIYs with leather" to now be "30 DIYS with leather" and fixed all the missing embedded Pinterest images.

Leather adds a certain elan to handmade goodies, and the interwebs are full of fabulous projects.

The above Jil Sanders leather lunch bag is the real deal but you can find a DIY for it at Chictopia.


This white leather flower bracelet from Between the Lines was the result of an accident.

 

From EvaForEva, a leather clutch from old clothes that is lined with fabric.


 
White leather net bag from Love Aesthetics and the famous Swell Mayde leather phone case via Design Sponge. Lots of holes to be made for this one.


This clutch from Beautiful Objects is made from an old coat.


This bag from Between the Lines looks gorgeous and doable as does the plant hanger from Design Sponge.


Leather can be golden. Above a chevron cuff from Oh the Lovely Things at You Are My Fave. Below a gold Peter Pan collar from A Pair and a Spare.



Lots and lots of bracelets and bangles. Painted, studded, embellished. Above, a leather snap bracelet from A Beautiful Mess.


Leather and lace cuffs from Mom Spark.


The magical one-piece braided bracelet (with animation and video) from Melissa Esplin at I Still Love You.


Some dude-friendly projects - a lunch tote from Wood and Faulk above and leather journals from Ishi below.


 

A studded Peter Pan collar from Crème de la Craft above.


Leather shoulders on a shirt from Cotton and Curls.


Leather flower rings from Wedding Window.


The iconic DIY leather foldover clutch from Say Yes to Hoboken.


A big crazy DIY leather necklace from Time for Tea and three simple leather necklaces from Cotton and Curls.


A Splendid Assemblage's DIY pyramid wrist bag.



My own gold-dipped leather bookmarks.



My own rustic leather journal from an old coat and DIY leather cabinet handles from Veronica Loves Archie.


A minimalist white leather notebook by Design and Form.


DIY Hermes inspired illusion knot cuff from Inspiration & Realisation.


Leather star sweater from Mormors Glamour. DIY this Celine knot bracelet at Whimseybox or with a video tutorial at Refinery29.

21 comments:

  1. I've had some faux leather for about a year - I'm determined to make myself a clutch with it next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had real leather for five years. Just now busting it out.

      Delete
  2. I've never tried a project with leather before. These make me want to give it a try. I like the leather details on the clothing and the covered journals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far, I've found leather pretty easy to work with.

      Delete
  3. The White cutwork shopper Bag is very clever. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please fix your source for the leather net bag, Ivania's tutorial is here: http://love-aesthetics.blogspot.com/2012/04/diy-all-purpose-leather-net-bag.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do you need a special Machine to sew leather. If not, do you need special needles? Thank you, KimmeC

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No special machine needed. But you do need special needles. They are thicker than regular sewing machine needles, which will break if used on leather. The heavy duty needles only cost a couple of dollars.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for including our leather envelope cell phone cases in the list! :)

    - Aimee

    www.swellmayde.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot that one was yours. I updated it to link to the original tutorial with a via to Design Sponge.

      Delete
  8. I love the leather bracelets. I've got some leather at home. Might try them out!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such great ideas! I've been collecting leather purses from yard sales and thrift shops and tearing them apart for leather and hardware...I have tons now to begin some projects.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much for publishing links on leather star sweater. I´ve moved my blog to another platform, is it possible to change the link to http://blogg.skonahem.com/mormorsglamour/2013/02/19/diy-gor-om-en-gammal-troja/
    Wish you a great day!
    And a big thanks!
    /Helena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're quite welcome. Thanks for the correct link. I have updated the post.

      Delete
  11. Thanks so much for including my leather clutch from an old coat. It's still probably my favorite thing I've ever made. I feel honored to be grouped in with so many beautiful pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are quite welcome. Judging by the pins, it seems yours is quite popular among all these beautiful pieces.

      Delete
  12. Thank you for including my illusion knot! I'm catching up on my blog reading and I had a nice surprise! will post this round up on my FB, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Any idea where someone could find the tutorial for that first clutch? The one from EvaForEva? It's no longer at the posted link...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly it looks like that blog no longer exists. Here is a similar tutorial from Transient Expression. http://transientexpression.com/tutorial-tuesday-leather-foldover-clutch/

      Delete