Thursday, April 11, 2013

My DIY raw stone pendants


Mr. Bromeliad made these as gifts for his family from bits of stone and granite we picked up on the beach while in Thailand. Since most of the stones were granite and thus hard as a rock, he couldn't drill a hole in them very well. His workaround looks like a pretty good imitation of electroplating but doesn't require much in the way of tools.

To make similar  no-hole-required pendants from raw stones or crystals, you will need teardrop or flat-backed stones, solid-core solder (no acid flux) that you can get at a hardware store, a heat-resistant cup (Mr. Bromeliad used a large plumbing end cap), drill and matching chain.

First, glue a bail to the flat side of each stone and allow to dry. See this post on how Mr. Bromeliad made bails from jack chain


Drop some solder into your cup and heat over the stove until it melts.

Them let the solder cool a little. Try dipping in the stone, bail side into the solder.


Getting the solder to stick is tricky. If the solder is too warm, it will roll right off the stone. Same if the stone is too cold.  Just about the time you are ready to completely give up, they will start to stick nicely. (Using flux did not seem to help.)


You want the solder to cover up the bail and part of the end of your stone.


Allow the solder to cool. Then use a drill to gently open up the hole in the bail.


String your pendants on matching chain (silver in this case.)

Place in a fancy gift box.

Impress all your nieces.

9 comments:

  1. i love it!!! great job!! inspiringtrend.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful! Oh my goodness, what a cool diy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only do these look great, but I love that they have meaning/memories from your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for posting this! I've been scouring the internet to try and recreate this effect, I've seen exactly this kind of mounting on expensive looking rough-gemstone jewelry and wanted to give it a go. I love that this technique has been applied to make holiday mementos, definitely doing this with some beach pebbles I have knocking around! Many thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome. I hope it turns out for you.

      Delete
  5. The BEST tutorial I have seen. My girlfriend and I have been hanging out to do this but wanted to find a unique, rustic look.. This is perfect. Thank you for sharing with the world. Can't wait to give it a go. Ps. How do you know where to drill due to the solder covering? Thanks again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It wasn't too hard to find the right spot to drill. You can see the shape of the hole through the solder.

      Delete
  6. Hello! I know it's quite old post now, but I have a question. What kind of glue would be the best? I tried already many types, and none of them works :( I even tried high temperature resistant ones, but they did not stick to the stones o.O I need a little help! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the interest. I've had pretty good results with E6000 glue. Hope this helps.

      Delete