Wednesday, December 5, 2012

My DIY sequin throw


A few months back I picked up six yards of sequin fabric at a thrift store with some vague notion of cutting off a piece to make a sequin collar and giving the rest away. It sat around for months.

 
Then I saw Maryam Montague's home in the May 2012 issue of Lonny. Her Moroccan wedding blanket looked like a solid piece of sequin fabric. (Her home was also featured in Elle Decor. The same or a similar sequin blanket was used as a rug in another room.)
 
I took that fabric out of the bag and did this.
 


I would like to tell you I finished the edges or sewed on some backing but I didn't. It seemed just find the way it was.

For the winter it's been put on a chair as a decorative throw.


Sequin fabric can run $20 a yard, so this isn't the cheapest throw you'd ever "make". But a real Moroccan wedding blanket is about $800. 


Another option is to modify this tutorial from Heather at Home Modern. She used a chenille blanket (smart) and embellished with silver fabric paint as seen below. Instead of paint, you can use sequin trim, which is available at most fabric stores for a couple of dollars a yard.

 
I am of the opinion that one actually can be too rich or too thin. But one can never have too many sequins. 

10 comments:

  1. Pretty! I think $800 for any sort of trendy blanket is ridiculous... including the Hermes Avalon. There, I said it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. Price tags with three digits and up are reserved for furniture and automobiles.

      Delete
  2. That looks great. Such a great idea and it looks festive too

    Xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you - you can never have too many sequins! I love your throw - so simple and chic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the Marilyn Monroe lifestyle! If I slept on that bed I'd have a glam cocktail first thing every morning.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comment! Love the sequins :)

    <3 Aimee
    www.swellmayde.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this! Such a great idea, and it's so perfect for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amen, sister! Viva la sequins!!! (c; And I *adore* the sequin bed...it looks amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahaha, what a great find. I love thrifting! Both ways are so cute: on the bed and in the chair.

    xx
    maya

    ReplyDelete