Wednesday, July 14, 2010

DIY Wednesday: Make a Breton stripe memo board


Breton stripes (that's horizontal black and white stripes to all you non-Brets) are one hot ticket fashion item this summer. Horizontal stripes are also popping up in home decor.




To get this summery "lighthouse" look for your home without investing in something heavy duty like curtains, you can make an easy memo board from dollar store supplies.

I used a piece of foam core from The Dollar Tree, one and a half rolls of black ribbon and some scrap white fabric.


Cut your foam core board to the desired size. Cut a piece of white fabric slightly larger than your board. Using spray adhesive, attach the fabric. Fold the extra fabric over the back of the board and glue.

Measuring from the bottom of the board, lightly mark off your "stripes" with a pencil so they are equal distance apart. Cut lengths of ribbon about an inch longer than the width of your board.

Using fabric glue, glue down the ribbon, turning the excess ribbon behind the board and gluing there.

I ended up using my board as a shelf liner in my closet. I had originally planned to stick my enormous collection of vintage pins and some photos on it but discovered that I liked the minimalist look better and left it plain.



6 comments:

  1. wow that looks gorgeous! oh its amazing!
    ~Lauren
    I'd love it if you'd check out my blog :)
    http://www.theperfectpearpair.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your space is looking so glam! Hey, how did you even friend me on FB? I thought I only had a fan page for the site . . . . Not that I don't want to be friends. Because I do. Good god, this is the weirdest comment I've ever written . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks awesome in your closet. What a stylish touch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love the stripes, so very glam!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very chic (not a word I use much) and so easy that even a stumbler like me could do it.

    ReplyDelete