Monday, January 5, 2009

Reflected light in winter


New York City in winter requires enjoying and appreciating reflected light. Most of us (self included) live in canyons. I stare out at a brick wall. Direct light only enters my apartment from the hours of 9 a.m to 9:30 a.m., from about May to July.

The rest of the time we make do with someone else's light.

I was stuck in my apartment with bronchitis for two weeks in October, and once every day, I received direct reflected light that bounced off a row of windows the next building over. For about 15 minutes, it hit the water fountain on our balcony and cast waves on the ceiling.

Unfortunately, I haven't been home during the correct daylight hours since. While I was busy, the sun moved on. I caught a little reflection this weekend from our balcony.

No comments:

Post a Comment