Thursday, January 8, 2009

How to make a no-sew bedskirt


Yesterday, I came across this great post on apartmenttherapy.com on how to make a simple bedskirt, as described by Benita, a visual merchandiser in Sweden who blogs at Chez Larson. She used hemmed strips of fabric, which she safety pinned to the mattress.

I was so inspired, I went home and did one even better for the sewing inept - no hemming required.
My mom picked up this drapery scarf for a couple of bucks at Goodwill, and I've kept it for years. Nice fabric, but who uses a drapery scarf anymore? However, it was - ta da - already hemmed and just the right size for my queen bed. (Alternately, you can take unhemmed fabric that is more than double the width of your bed skirt drop, fold it in half and pin accordingly.)

Here's the step-by-step:


In less time than it takes to watch two episodes of Seinfeld, I had a finished bedskirt (including ironing.)

18 comments:

  1. Hey, that's even better than mine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey this looks great and i can't wait to try it! also, where did you score those fab headboard panels?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Believe it or not, we found it on the street. It was missing one of the small top panels, so we just removed the other three.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea! Did you use one piece of material (one scarf) and what size bed did you cover?

    ReplyDelete
  5. One scarf, six yards long. It exactly fit a queen size bed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for sharing this! It is exactly what I was looking for - a nice but cheap bed skirt. I am off to TJMax to find a discount window scarf.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am still wondering on how to fold the corners...any tips?? LOVE this idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You might have a look at this post from Chez Larsson for some additional photos of the corners. Basically, the skirt hangs straight down the whole way around the bed. The only folding is on the mattress. It pretty much folds itself naturally as you keep the bottom edge of the bedskirt even with the floor.

    http://chezlarsson.typepad.com/myblog/2009/01/super-simple-bed-skirt-howto.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, I had to leave a comment! I a had window scarf in the color i wanted to use. It took me maybe 10 minutes from start to complete bed! I love this idea. I will nver buy a bed skirt again. Thank you sooooooooooo much. Msmichelob

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks great i am trying it with a flat sheet but with a little bit of cutting it should work thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  11. This awesome, but I still unsure about folding the corners and I'm unable to access the link above to view more pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is the good blog with good images and good details. Please keep on posting the more stuff. I will like to hear more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. what I can`t understand is ...are you pinning the material from the mattress or from the mattress box?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm pinning it to the fabric covering the box spring (or bottom mattress.)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much it was a fantastic guide, now to make a no-sew bedskirt is without a doubt simple and easy utilizing your tips. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  16. So you were able to do this for a queen size bed with just ONE drapery scarf? I can't wait to find the right scarf for my son's bed!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes. It was a six-yard drapery scarf. It measured 216" by 42"

    ReplyDelete