Thursday, February 25, 2010

Moroccan style lanterns circa the 1960s


The longer you look at something you grabbed from the trash the more it loses its luster.

These three brass pendant lights caught my eye because I've been wanting a Moroccan lantern of some sort and the filigree seemed to have potential. Plus there was something so fabulously awful about them, all blue plastic encrusted and ready to hang in Barbie's Dream Harem.

Now they look to me like headgear for Sauron's henchmen.

What do you think? Should I attempt a de-bling? Embrace them as they are? (after a better cleaning.) Or quietly put them right back where I found them?

7 comments:

  1. I might be creating a monster, but I feel I should point out that you could turn some of your amazing street finds into cash. You take beautiful photos, so you could easily post things on Ebay or Etsy (vintage).

    That would help you eliminate clutter, while funding the purchase of the reading light of your dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are a little scary :-) but I would say, attempt a de-bling, definitely!
    If the results are awful, you can always put them back later...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a little hard to tell what exactly they look like based on this picture. But from what I can tell they are pretty cool looking. I can see why you would pull them out of the trash.

    I have to say, though, I think that in terms of a Moroccan lantern you could do better. I think these are almost TOO ornate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I love them, with a few caveats:
    --The photo doesn't give me any sense of scale, or even the overall shape - I just love the color and detail.
    --I have somewhat over-the-top taste.
    --I've been looking for interesting lamps that aren't horrifically expensive *in that exact color and style* for over a year, so I may be a bit biased.

    Send them to me in Germany? :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They are a bit rococo (too much even for me and my style is less minimalist than yours). I still think it's worth trying to de-bling. I hesitate to make this suggestion because I had a spectacularly unsuccessful experience (didn't use a good primer)with spray painting a chandelier, but I wonder if a light grey/silver or cream/white coat of paint might transform them into something much more understated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really really really like this but I want to see another picture - please? one that shows everything...

    ReplyDelete