Tuesday, February 9, 2010

How do you read?

. . . blogs?

I usually use Blogger's Dashboard because it opens directly to the blog post and it's easier to leave comments. But it's teeny weeny.

I'm trying to use Google Reader since it's got a much larger window and I can read an entire post in the reader. But, when it comes time to post a comment, I have to scroll up to the top of the post, click the link, open the post on the actual blog, scroll down, fill out my name, E-mail, and URL, write my comment, click submit, fill out some spam filter and then click submit again.

Whew.

My compromise is to read smaller blogs in the Blogger Dashboard so I can somewhat more easily leave comments and bigger blogs in Google Reader since they can live without a 35th comment about how I'm swooning over their drapes.

There's a better way, right? Or are the Google People failing us here?

Images: William Burroughs by Herb Ritts via Silver Lining Opticians

8 comments:

  1. That's a very thought out plan for reading! I'm impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use Google Reader.. I guess I'm just used to all that clickin' and scrollin' :-) My laptop usually remembers my name, email, & url so it makes the process faster on the blogs that I regularly comment on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Google Reader Next!! It's the best. Go to the settings in Google Reader then go to the "goodies" section. Drag the "next" toolbar button up to your toolbar. When you click on the button it takes you to the next newest blog post on the actual blog, not in a reader window. The only downside is that it seems to go in reverse chronological order which can be a little confusing if the sequence is important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I use Google Reader, since I browse from multiple computers. This allows me to keep my read items sync'd. You could use a news aggragator, but that requires an install on the computer you use. Your best bet may be a blended approach, though slightly more time consuming :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i use google reader but it's been finicky lately. you're right, if you want to comment, you have to click and go to the actual site.
    i'm not sure of a better way though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find Google Reader kind of awkward, and I like linking directly to the blog...so yeah, I use dashboard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm; I get the headlines in my RSS feed, and if I like the sound of it, I click through to the blog.
    Except for you, of course, I come here regardless ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Google Reader! I created different folders so that I can tell the blogs apart (friends, big blogs, inspirational blogs, etc). Having a special "friends" folder helps to remind me of which blogs I like to comment on regularly. Yes, it's a pain to click out, but I deal.

    ReplyDelete