Thursday, June 14, 2012

My DIY dip-dye necklace


Here's part 2 of my Tulip One Step Tie Dye tryout. I made a dip-dye necklace of my own invention.

For testing purposes I made two rope necklaces - one a simple wrap necklace and the other a macrame necklace. The first one used cotton cord and the second was polyester. (Natural fibers are recommended for dyeing.)




I presoaked the necklaces in water and then just squirted some blue dye on one end. The dye wicked up the necklaces more than I imagined it would.


I wrapped the necklaces in plastic and let them sit overnight. Then I let them dry then rinsed them in cold water and let them dry again. (Don't know if the pre-dry was necessary or not.)

As you can sort-of tell, the cotton cord held the turquoise dye better and created a more intense shade of blue. However, the poly didn't do so bad either. If I were to do it again, I would soak only the bottom bit of the necklace in water.



I haven't figured out what to do with the macrame necklace yet or whether the whole concept would be better as a bracelet. Any thoughts on that?

I"ve already worn the wrap necklace a couple of times. It's a very summery item.


Should I make more?  Still debating this.

Regardless, the dye was ridiculously easy to use. With planning, you could whip out a dozen necklaces in 10 minutes.

Tulip's One Step Tie-Dye kits are available at Walmart, Walmart Canada, Michaels, JoAnn, A.C. Moore, Hobby Lobby, Hancock Fabrics, and Meijer. Different types of kits have different colors. You can buy one-color refills for about $4, which I'm thinking about doing since I'm on this blue kick lately.

Would you attempt tie-dying?

21 comments:

  1. I love the result of both necklaces. I've been wanting to try a macrame necklace, and am very inspired by yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's an easy knot - lanyard - although a bit time consuming.

      Delete
  2. I love the wrap necklace--it's such a modern, grown-up option for tie dye!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks much. Super easy. Wrap a laundry rope hand to elbow like you would wrap up an extension cord.

      Delete
  3. i like them both! turquoise is the best color for summer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think they are both pretty - the photos of them make them look very striking! I would be interested to see how you style them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I am ALL over this idea! Recently I was thinking that I needed a fun new summer necklace and this project fits the bill.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are so fantastic. I'm thinking I see another project in my future;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. O-WOW- this looks fantastic. I always love what you come up with !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love both necklaces. Especially the macrame one. I was thinking of tie dying a tee with my daughter and am going to be purchasing either Tulip or Rit.
    xx
    maya

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is an awesome diy! I actually tried it and posted it on my blog, check it out!

    http://awkwardinheels.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. love love love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oooooh, ombre! And so summery too! I'm in the middle of a dying project right now and I am intrigued by this Tulip One Step Dye (I'm using Rit). Might just be worth a trip to Wal-Mart.

    Anyway, either of these necklaces would be perfect with a black maxi dress. I agree with Heather, you should do a post on how you style them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's easier taking pictures of product than pictures of self but maybe I can impress Mr. Bromeliad into service.

      Delete
  12. Interesting, verrry interesting idea! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love it!!! Especially the simple one (without the knots). Could you tell me, where I can find rope like this? (I'm from Germany but live in the US. But I don't know where to find stuff like this, especially out of cotton). It would be great if you could help me with this and send me an email (keller_andrea@gmx.de). Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's plain old laundry rope. You can get it at Walmart, Amazon,e tc.

      Delete
  14. i think this is just great! :))I'm not a DIY person, but i would love to try this one :))

    ReplyDelete
  15. How do you fasten off the rope?? On the simple one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tilly,

      I hid the ends of the ropes by wrapping a small piece of rope several times at the top of the necklace. You can see it in the top of the last photo. Hope this helps. Let me know if I can explain it better.

      Delete