Wednesday, November 4, 2009

DIY Wednesday: No-sew ruffled tank top


I didn't intend for this project to be a no-sew, but I'm an ambivalent crafter. I removed the sleeves from an extremely large silver polyester top and couldn't decide whether to turn them into a fabric corsage or a ruffled collar. So I tried pinning on the collar. And it looked OK. So I'll wear this for awhile, then pin a corsage, and then someday I'll make up my mind and this will be a sewing project.

For all of you out there who lack thread or decision-making skills, here's how to do it:

I started off with a free tank top and a free blouse in a complementary color. Look for a blouse with a silky texture.


I removed the sleeves and took advantage of the fact that they were already sewn along one edge. I bunched up the fabric at intervals of about an inch or two and safety-pinned the fabric to the collar of the shirt - one sleeve for the front and the second sleeve for the back. I tucked the raw ends and the cuffs under.

To make this permanent, simply hand-stitch the gathers to the shirt and remove the pins.


18 comments:

  1. I like this! I also like that you didn't make it permanent so you can refashion this into a corsage or whatever else! I'm all about maximum flexibility.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So neat! I posted this on my sidebar today! I am all about the temporary alterations! That way you don't commit to using your favorite ribbon up :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Disney. Check out Disney's blog Ruffles and Stuff for very cool low-cost alterations to clothes, pillows, jewelry, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. Femme, sophisticated, great color and sheen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. very cute. the new collar completely transforms that tank!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so impressed. Very Anthropologie and J Crew this year. You are cutting edge! At least here in almost middle America.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually got the idea from J. Crew. You are soooo in touch, even for a non-middle American.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks so beautiful. I think the fabric you used for the collar is a big part of the success - lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so awesome!!! I linked to your tutorial on Craft Gossip Sewing: http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-easy-gathered-puff-neckline-for-a-tee-or-tank/2011/04/22/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  10. I Love this!! and so feminine. Thanks for Sharing!!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks very elegant, what a great way to give new life to a plain tank top!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi,

    I've linked to this project on AllFreeSewing.com. I think it's a great no sew project our readers will love to make. Here's the link:

    http://www.allfreesewing.com/No-Sew-Projects/No-Sew-Ruffled-Summer-Top


    If you have any questions or would like to see more of your projects on the site, please feel free to contact me.

    Thanks!

    Kirsten
    Editor
    AllFreeSewing.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love, love, love it and the color is beautiful!

      Delete
  13. THIS IS SOOOO CUTE...YOU CAN WEAR IT WITH JEANS, FOR THAT TOM-BOY-GIRLISH LOOK.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this project!!! Easy "no sew" project that is right up my "i can't sew" alley! :) love the detachableness if it so that you switch out for different looks! Thanks for sharing Bromeliad! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the ideas, so inspiring , im about to dive into my old clothes and atempt this... chears

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is Fantastic, im about to dive into my clothes and try it out. Thanks for the motivation ,,, really what i needed... chears

    ReplyDelete