Monday, November 2, 2009

The Uniform Project


I never write about fashion because I don't drop a dime on clothes. But of course there's a horde of folks just like me out on the interwebs these days. Also, it's fall, and I've got clothes on the brain. So it's time.

First up, the uber-frugal dresser Sheena Matheiken and her co-designer Eliza Starbuck, well known in the crafty blogger circles. If you haven't already checked out The Uniform Project, then have a look for more inspiring uses of accessories than you can shake a sock at.

Sheena has committed to wearing the same black dress every day for a year, and she's already half way there. (A 6-month anniversary party will be held November 7 in Williamsburg.) Each day's outfit is embellished with second-hand or handmade clothing, and she's got me actually considering colored tights this year.

Besides the sheer creativity involved in making a new outfit over and over out of the same clothes, I love the fact that one of Sheena's frequent sources for accessories is her mom. I am not the only adult female who still gets half her wardrobe from mummy.

Do you have a favorite outfit from The Uniform Project?

Does your mom still dress you?

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for reminding me about her! I remeber reading about it months ago, but have forgotten about it since.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once contemplated doing something like this in my college days. I thought it would be potentially freeing to have a uniform and not be forced to contemplate fashion on a daily basis (though clearly that's not what is operating here). The outfits are quirky and cute but what I like most is that she's raising money for charity.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Resist the urge to don colored tights!!!!! You gotta go with the above knee dress/skirt and fab flats or boots to make it right!!!! If I see or hear of you in a below knee skirt and colored tights in NYC, I will send Laura Ingalls out to arrest you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laura Ingalls. Eww eww. You're so right. No prairie skirts with tights.

    ReplyDelete