Friday, March 30, 2012

Seagrass baskets


Feeling an inkling of the spring need to organize, I ponder the basket.

A basket, in my opinion, should be large. Small ones are just clutter. They should have a nice texture, as used by Jessica Buckley, Mark Sikes and Jenny Keenan.



In a pinch, a market tote will do. Mark Sikes scatters them all around.




(Either that or he's carrying the same basket from room to room.)

A small space does best with a tall narrow round basket - maximum storage on minimum floor space.




The ones above are Wistera ($69), Crate and Barrel ($69.99) and West Elm ($129). Similar are available at Pottery Barn and Restoration Hardware in the $200 range.


The best bargain baskets are the three for $99 at Z Gallerie (go thirdsies with two friends) or West Elm's large curved basket for $54.


Or, cheaper yet, consider Z Gallerie's sea grass market tote for $24.95.


Have you found any great baskets?

7 comments:

  1. I saw a few of these baskets from PB at PB outlet for great prices, in different sizes - check that out if you have an outlet near you?

    I also love west elm's colored baskets that come with lids... I really want one to corral all of the baby's toys. Just wish it wasn't $100ish...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you. Wish they had larger lidded baskets, too. (But at a low price.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am always on the hunt for good (big) ones. World Market has a few right now that are great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute collection. I got a few of those years back to organize kids toys. I can't remember where I got mine, but I'm sure it was not expensive. I'm sure it was one of those discount places like HomeGoods, TJMaxx, or Ross...
    xx
    maya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad yall dont have a Southeastern Salvage. They carry them in all sizes and I'm talking crack head pricing. I bought mine for no more than $15 and they are big!

    ReplyDelete
  6. $15 is an appropriate price for a grass basket in my opinion.

    Must move South.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boo! Boooooooo seagrass baskets!! A hand made sweetgrass Basket can take months to make but these machine made baskets takes only a few minutes! this is a major threat to the Amazing gullah tradition of Sweeetgrass Basket weaving! you should me ASHAMED of yourselves.

    ReplyDelete