Friday, October 2, 2009

Street find: West Elm bed frame


Last month while the rest of my family was partying at the Outer Banks, we found the perfect anniversary gift sitting on the sidewalk in Brooklyn Heights, which turned out to be our best trash-picked item since the HGTV-featured Danish cabinet. So glad we stayed in New York, where the streets are paved with case goods.


I saw this bed frame on the street while on my way to my lunchtime workout. I called Tom to see if he could stop by and evaluate it. By the time I got back from the exercise class, the frame was gone. Tom consoled me by speculating it came from a bedbug-infested crack den.

When I got home that night, there was the bed frame. Tom had carried it home by himself, fractured ankle and all. The previous owner was moving to Manhattan and didn't want to bother with dismantling the frame so it would fit in his car.

The bed ended up being a queen, same as our mattress. It also looks very much like the $300 West Elm bed frame I've been mooning over for three years while getting by with a bed skirt made from a curtain and safety pins. Personally, I prefer a bed where you can see the feet - some air flow at floor level makes a room feel lighter and less crowded.

Here's our next dilemma. Box spring or no box spring? The only blogger I've seen weighing in on this subject is Nick Olsen, who says either way is fine, just don't leave the box spring exposed. What do you all think? Nox with a box? Or not? The first pic is with the box spring. The second is without.


16 comments:

  1. What a find!

    Personally I prefer the look without the box spring, it's somehow cleaner (and I don't mean as opposed to bug-infested ;-) )
    Does it make any difference to the comfort at all?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a find!!! It's crazy what people throw away. Hope Tom's ankle feels better soon!

    xo,
    cristin

    PS- no you must enter a bedding $50 giveaway on my site - perfect for your new bed frame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have the West Elm frame I think you're referring to. It's pretty low and we like our bed higher so we have the box spring on it too, but, yes, it's covered with an extra fitted sheet and tucked to be tight and smooth. :) Great find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like a higher bed-makes for some fun times! But both look great. Just add a fitted sheet to the box frame to cover it up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great find. All things being equal comfort-wise, I prefer the simpler, lower-to-the-ground look of a bed without a boxspring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I vote for no box spring. A lower bed usually makes a room feel larger to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great find! That's sweet and amusing that Tom took it home without you knowing.

    I like how it looks without the box springs better. It might not be as comfortable, though. Which is sort of the point of a bed...

    ReplyDelete
  8. No box spring looks cleaner, more loft like. Also more Far East which goes with your headboard (which is actually probably Moroccan) but it's a short trip to Muslim tiled Iberian peninsula which is another short trip to Turkey area...trip is getting closer to true Far East. Is it as comfortable? Higher beds evoke country, quilts, etc. or medieval kings/queens.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lucky! i like it w/out the box spring as long as it's comfortable and you'll have enough support. good job (or should i say, 'good job tom for carrying it home?')

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like it without but...is it more comfortable with it? If so, I say leave it on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. With - I just always feel like a low bed makes the room feel less spacious (weird, but I guess it feels like it's taking up more of the floor area). And, I'm tall, so I'm biased!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it without but unless you have a good place to store the boxframe, you may not want to get rid of it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. without looks cleaner. LOVE your blog btw : ) can't stop reading even though I have a ton of stuff to take care of...

    ReplyDelete
  14. no box spring. when you used the box spring how did you cover up the box? I don't like the look of a bed skirt so opt for no box. oh and I love your head board!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks.

    Well, sadly, when we had the box spring, we left it naked, which is tacky.

    If I'd kept it, I probably would have reused my bed skirt fabric and tucked it in to make a box spring cover.

    ReplyDelete