Monday, November 15, 2010

My DIY: Faux crochet necklaces


A few months back, some of you admired my "crochet" necklace, as seen below.


The necklace started from a few yards of bullion fringe I picked up at a thrift shop.

I don't really like fringy pillows or curtains. But the fringe eventually inspired some jewelry.


To make a collar necklace, cut a length of fringe about 24 inches long (or about two inches longer than you want the final necklace to be).

Double fold each cut edge and hand stitch a hem to prevent fraying.


To make a V-shaped necklace, stitch a fold halfway down the length of fringe.


Fasten the necklace together at the top by putting a few stitches where the two hemmed edges meet. Or, if you want to be fancy, sew a hook and eye.


To make a more ruffled and curved version, fold the length of fringe in half and pin a pleat about every two inches, making sure that your pleats line up on each side of the necklace. Put a few hand stitches into each pinned pleat.


The "ruffled" version will lay flatter and looks like this.


Remember those Chris Benz macrame necklaces? You can sort of get the long, low pendant look with a smaller piece of fringe.


I found a length of cord with a damaged tassel. Any decorative cord or rope will work.


Cut a length of fringe about eight inches long. Double fold each edge and hem to prevent fraying (a step I regrettably neglected.)


With a needle and thread, ruffle the inside edge of the fringe.



Stitch the fringe to your cord. Tie the cord around your neck at the length you like. Or, if you want to be fancy, attach jewelry caps with a hook and clasp set.


Got any projects going on?

Share them at the November Inspired blog party.

4 comments:

  1. You always amaze me with your DIYs. Please email me your email address. I need to email you something.

    chicmodernvintage{at}yahoo{dot}com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it!!

    I started re-upholstering my sofa...I don't know what I was thinking!!! Haha. Hopefully it won't be the death of me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome- you are one creative lady!!

    ReplyDelete