Thursday, September 30, 2010

My DIY: Scarf to bolero


This is not quite as lame as it looks, although it is pretty lame. But I'm too busy to finish up any of the good stuff this week.

I've been trying to figure out some more ways to wear scarves since I have so many of them and wear none of them. A scarf theoretically should offer a stylish way to ward off an early autumn chill.

With two safety pins, you can actually get your boho on and convert a scarf that was around your neck or waist into a little jacket.

You will need a large rectangular or square scarf. My scarf is the ikat one from World Market (sadly, no longer available) which is a 40-inch square. To make it a rectangle, I folded it in half.


Then fold the two ends down to make a triangle.


Insert a safety pin about midway between the point of the triangle and the center where the two folds meet (in other words, about 10 to 15 inches from the center of your fabric in case you can't see the tiny pin in the photo.) Do the same on the other side.


Stick your arms through. You may have to adjust the pin location to allow enough looseness for your arms.



Go forth and be groovy.

7 comments:

  1. That scarf is great! I really like the tassel detail. I'll have to try your bolero idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty. I haven't worn scarves in interesting ways in so long...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this...but I really love that crochet number in the top picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not a bad idea...your waist looks very super-modelish in the last photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. P e r f e c t. Originally idea. I post it on my blog, if you don`t mind! I hope so you not! I love it

    ReplyDelete