Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My DIY: Felt flowers


A quick and easy DIY for a busy week.

These flowers were so fast to make I forgot to take much in the way of photos. But the principle is the same as for my dahlia from an old shirt. These are easier though since there is no issue with fraying or general limpness.

Cut a strip of felt about two inches wide. For the dahlia, make tapered cuts. For the mum, make straight cuts. Roll the strip and glue as you go. Add a pin back to the back.

Two or three of these on a sweater or knit hat looks mighty cute if I do say so myself. Vintage insect pin optional.



15 comments:

  1. Those are so cute!
    Love the colors too
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are so cute and the little bee and butterfly accents give them the perfect touch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are REALLY cute! I love the yellow one especially!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Or on a purse! I really love the yellow flower.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is absolutely lovely! So "fallish" and you finally made brooches from felt! i will let you know if I put one of these images in my blog post :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the combination of the felt with the pins is a knock-out winner!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi bromeliad, i love these, brilliant take on the rolled roses! Would you drop by my blog linking party and link to this, it would be great to have you! all the best, Sara

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love the pink one.... so pretty

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these! Can you give step by step directions with photos? I'm not clear on how to do this. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Anon,

    Check back later this week. I will be posting a variation of this flower - this time with how to photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did you ever post the variation you mention with how to photos? How long of a strip is needed? THANX....love these.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Pamela. It's over at Dollar Store Crafts.

    http://dollarstorecrafts.com/2010/10/make-an-oversize-flower-brooch/

    The strip can be 12 to 24 inches depending on how big you want the flower. You can always add to the flower with a second strip.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think somebody posted your DIYs without your knowledge and without saying it was made by you: http://trulyhomedesignstar.onsugar.com/My-DIY-Felt-flowers-14547516

    ReplyDelete