Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Is Shabby Chic coming back?


While reading the September 2010 issue of House Beautiful, I came across a teeny paragraph that stopped me cold.

"Plump, comfy upholstery is making a big comeback. The relaunch of this
20-year-old favorite couldn't be better timed. Floris Sofa, from $3,650. Rachel
Ashwell Shabby Chic Couture."

Actually, I could care less about whether Shabby Chic is making a comeback. But is it true about plump, comfy upholstery? Did you know this? Is HB (and Lonny) just playing with us?

This is a big deal to me because I am the current owner of some very plump upholstery and I'm on the edge of getting rid of it. (I've been on the edge of getting rid of it for at least 10 years.)


My current sofa looks a bit like this, except that it has no slipcover. I'm trying to decide whether to invest several hundred dollars in a new bright white slipcover and in restuffing the seat and back cushions.

Or, just as plump, comfy upholstery is about to make a comeback, should I leap the other way and buy something slim and modern, like the new Silhouette Sofa from Crate & Barrel?


You can read about the identical turmoil here and again here.

I know you understand why this decision goes to the core of who I am as a human being.

12 comments:

  1. Keep the plump and comfy! I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sleek sofas, but you just can't beat a fluffy comfy sofa! I LOVE the shabby chic sofas... = ) I'd say get a new slipcover and restuff it. It would probably be more cost effective. Unless you just really need a change. I can relate to that feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it's a big decision and far too many options - chances for you to second guess any decision you make. Have you seen the feather filled cushion inserts at Ikea? maybe you could supplement/replace some of your loose cushions, and simply wrapping your worn seat cushions with a feather doona can give the shabby look. For me it looks like a lot of maintenance, fluffing and arranging everything - go the Crate & Barrel!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just ordered a custom sofa that I designed myself through Bassett. It is a good mixture of both with some fairly clean lines but down filled cushions. I don't think I will ever buy another couch any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh we understand - there's nothing as important as a sofa. I say sofas should be either leggy and French or plump and comfortable, and I don't hold with the midcentury look in between. And plain white slipcovers are lovely if not embellished with ruffles and poodles. So I vote to keep and replump yours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have fallen off my plump sofa laughing. This is why I love blogging. Promise: ix-nay on any poodles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know exactly what you mean! I've been having the same dilemma over furnishing my basement! I hope you post on your decision and maybe I'll be able to finally make a choice!
    xoxo
    Lila Ferraro

    ReplyDelete
  8. honestly, did it ever leave? mix and match your decor, plump sofa with other modern stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sofas are a matter of existential import, of course.
    My concern with being on-trend is that you may grow tired of your revived sofa when you see it magazine after magazine (Lonny just did a shabby chic feature too) and considering the expense, that would be a bitter pill to swallow. From what I've seen of your space, I think the sleeker style might work better but I could very well be missing something.

    I'd stay on that edge for awhile longer, probably.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Comfy is always in style for me, but I don't think I'm ready to embrace Shabby Chic. In fact, I'm not sure I'll ever embrace it!
    With a couple of pillows, that Crate & Barrel sofa looks perfectly nap-worthy to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's looks good! Shabby chic is really different and antique style, i just love the first picture of sofa, looks at the colour, finishing, just awesome.

    ReplyDelete