Monday, April 27, 2009

Should I break up with my sofa?


Reasons I love my sofa:
  1. It was a surprise gift from my husband
  2. I've had it almost as long as I've been married
  3. It's long enough to sleep on
  4. It's neutral
  5. It's good quality

Reasons I should get rid of it:

  1. It's 15 years old.
  2. The cushions look grimy (although they've been cleaned.)
  3. The cushions are flat and bulging out at the front. (Would cost about $100 to restuff.)
  4. The couch is 8 feet long and a pain to move or fit into any apartment we've lived in
  5. It's more traditional/shabby chic than I am.
  6. It requires a row of lumpy pillows along the back.


Reasons I like this sofa:
  1. It's clean lined
  2. It's half price
  3. It's neutral
  4. It's a shelter sofa (arms are as high as the back), which is a style I like
  5. It's long enough to sleep on
  6. It's almost two feet shorter than the sofa we have
  7. The tufted buttons are cute
Reasons I'm not sure about this sofa:
  1. The fabric is light, and the previous light sofa was a pain to keep clean
  2. I will jinx my marriage if I get rid of the old sofa
  3. I will have to part with some cash
  4. It can't possibly last 15 years
  5. What I really want is this sofa in charcoal grey.

5 comments:

  1. The new sofa is gorgeous! What can I say though, I'm always a sucker for tufting. :) It's always tough to tell from a picture, but I would never have guessed that your current one is 15 years old though....kudos on keeping it looking nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. No kids and no pets help. Also, it came with a slipcover. We wore that out about 10 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. um, sofas do not last 15 years. you are a sofa keeping genius. therefore you will not jinx your marriage. that said, charcoal grey is YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly, by the time I made up my mind, the floor model, which was half price, was sold.

    So, my lumpy old friend stays. When I do get around to buying one, I'm liking Room & Board's Loring, Westwood and Brooks sofas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, I just had to stop by and say thank you for the comment on my kitchen! yes, even food does taste better- funny how that happens! I loved the new couch you picked, but I would have felt the same about the old one! Don't worry, at least its neutral...thats what I keep telling myself, too ;)

    ReplyDelete