Thursday, August 12, 2010

My DIY: Anthro inspired rose tank


Last week I showed you how to make fabric roses.

This week I'll show you a few ways to use them.

One is to knock off this Anthropologie tank, shown below. It was $78 and is no longer available.


Alert readers may note that my tank does not look exactly like the Anthro tank. Funny thing. I had more roses going all the way up the straps but thought it looked like too much. I took roses off.


Then I found this image of the tank as worn by a real person at The Chloe Conspiracy and realized that "too much" is exactly the right look.


The first step is to make between 7 and 22 fabric roses in shades of one color following my fabric rose tutorial or something similar.


Pin them on to the shirt and try it on. Reposition roses as needed. Remove roses if conservative.


Sew the roses on, stitching along the outside of the center of the rose. This will help it to lay flat.

That's it. Hand wash, I'd say.

16 comments:

  1. THis is really cute! I have a vaca next week and I think this would be a great top to make for it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. IIIIIIII LLLLOOOVE this DIY! Shall have to try.... perhaps even this weekend! Love how it turned out. Feminine+Fun+flirty+perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Much better than the Anthro tank. I can see you lounging in your Italianate mansion in this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this top! I will try to make some roses if I manage...I always have troubles with the shape...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh see! Your post always make my day!
    Thanks for sharing! I love rose bib necklace, but perhaps i should make my self a rose tank like you did. Probably i will add more tulle and tatter the rose for extra vintage look.

    Hug,
    Dita

    ReplyDelete
  6. No, yours is nicer. You have exactly the right amount of roses, and it's beautiful. I'd never wear that other one that has too much of the beach-dancing vibe. A big, big round of applause for this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the encouragement everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  8. definitely the kind of look where more is better. i love the colors of your tank. perfect for the fall with a cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I never thought that black and silver color roses are a good combination. That outfit looks so fabulous in those roses. I also like the second outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They actually are silver and grey, although it's kind of hard to tell in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute! Isn't it fun how different our interpretations of the shirt were? Thanks for sharing yours!

    Aubree from Yellow Blackbird

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really love the 3rd picture down. That is an amazing outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Are fabric roses still in fashion for fall 2011?

    ReplyDelete