Thursday, July 15, 2010

Google a la Josef Frank


Today Google has this for its logo.

I immediately recognized the textile design of Josef Frank but was then shocked to discover the man was dead and had been for some time. (Today would have been his 125th birthday.)

There's probably some sort of lesson in this about the breadth of data available in the information age versus the narrowness of interests some of us acquire. Or it could just be that Frank's designs are so incredibly timeless that they could have been issued yesterday or 100 years ago. Take a look at some of his textiles and furniture.





Can you believe all this was designed in the 40s and 50s? Check out the room below. If this is midcentury modern (which I normally loathe), I'll take it.


8 comments:

  1. Those fabrics are wonderful - so joyful and colourful, and yet full of grown-up flair. I would have anything of his in my house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a wonderful daily theme for Google. I love the images you shared here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please wrap that armoire up and send it to me right away. Gorgeous and so much more soulful than run of the mill mid-c (not that I don't own plenty of that).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to admit, I saw that google, and didn't get the reference! Glad you explained it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very hard to believe he made these prints so long ago. They look very fresh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, isn't that armoire fabulous?

    And I only recognized Frankel thanks to an abiding addiction to design blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree - it's astonishing that he was born 125 years ago. These designs are so 'now'. (Unlike me who posted about the doodle a day late when everyone else had already covered it! Oops!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. yummo design! Those look so modern, i can't believe my eyes if you don't mention those prints are older than my grandmother!

    ReplyDelete