Thursday, July 1, 2010

Summer fashion tips


After observing thousand of visitors and locals tread past my door trying to keep cool and look chic at the same time, I am qualified to offer a few summer fashion pointers.

Undergarments: It should not be obvious to a passerby that you either are or are not wearing a bra.

Capris: Wear them if you must, but know they are doing nothing for you. If you are going to the trouble of putting on pants, then wear real ones, which will make you look taller and thinner, and who doesn't need that? If it's too hot for pants and you can't face the exposure that shorts offer, then opt for a summer dress. They are cooler than capris and look better.


Summer dresses: A great way to stay cool and still look civilized. Note that two percent of the world's population looks good strapless. Also, if the dress hangs only inches below your bottom, it is not a dress; it is a swimsuit coverup.

Flip-flops: Great for the shower or poolside schlepping. Not to be worn in public otherwise.

Boots: Boots are stylish. Boots are hip. But if it's 95 degrees out, boots are nasty.



Any tips you'd add?

Images: Style Sightings via Definitely Golden; Hayden+Harnett via The City Sage; J.Crew summer catalogue.

17 comments:

  1. I agree with all of the above to a T - especially the bits about flip flops and capris. If I was going to add anything it would be about hairstyles: high ponytails may be the coolest option to beat the heat but that athletic look can take away from a cute outfit - dress up your pony with a headband or go for a chignon to complete your style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with all of those, ableit I am a flip-flop offender. I don't understand how all the women are wearing these 'dresses' that are pretty much tunics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could agree more in regards to capris and the length of a dress (too short = beach cover-up).

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol. I'm laughing so hard at the boots comment. Living in Southern California I've seen my share of UGG boots with short skirts. Seriously I don't get it. :)

    Bre

    ReplyDelete
  5. i am in complete agreement with your list. why don't people get it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are great tips. I would not enjoy wearing boots in the heat. And I would not feel comfortable wearing the really "short dresses" as they call them.

    Trudy
    www.sewingwithtrudy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect! I hate capris and I love summer dresses... with sandals (not flip-flops).

    And the boots... I don't even know what to say... clunky boots with a short skirt is one of the least flattering "trends" I've sen lately. Just the other day, I actually saw sandals that look like boots... no joke. ::shudders::

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen! Especially about capris - why? Bottom line they are frumpy. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My wife is having a hard time dressing up during summer she took over an hour on her dressing room ending up to casual wear. I will show this blog to her and I think she will learn a lot of things.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Guilty on capris, (finding pant that fit is so awful that I take any length I can get) but otherwise, yes, in total agreement.
    However, I just read highlights of your post to Beloved Husband and he begs to differ on the bra situation.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd much rather see people wearing capris than short shorts. That first photo does not work for me.

    And when will women stop this business of wearing hosiery as pants?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sterling advice. Totally true, all of it. I'd add gladiator-type sandals that are worn too tightly. And most shades of yellow, on most people.

    ReplyDelete
  13. And that white ensemble in the top photo is so dainty and right. Feminine without being overtly so.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great summer fashion tips for women. It seems like capris have fallen out of style.

    ReplyDelete