Thursday, April 29, 2010

DIY Wednesday on Thursday: Marlaina Stone inspired necklace from your own stuff


Guess who forgot yesterday was Wednesday?

Here's our DIY Wednesday project, posted a day late. This is the second in our continuing series on restyling your own jewelry rather than buying new or spending money on jewelry-making supplies. Last week's project was making a Talbot's inspired necklace from a plain strand of beads.

This week's project ups the bling factor a bit under the influence of designer Marlaina Stone. I will now make you look at a whole bunch of Marlaina Stone necklaces because I think they are so pretty.








Isn't it amazing she can put all that stuff together and make it look good? And for only $500 to $1,000 per necklace.

I like her mix of hard and soft, bold and delicate, and fabric and stone. At first I thought my necklace was too over the top until I looked back at hers again. Now I feel like adding more to it.

Below is my jewelry drawer. It's a not-so-hot mess right now. But it is a tremendous source of raw material.


Out of all that, I fished out the following, along with a scrap of silver-grey fabric.


My secret craft supplies are twist ties and ribbon from The Dollar Tree. You may note that the twist ties are bright green. I colored my pieces in with a black marker to tone them down.


I had one short necklace, one long one doubled up and tied with a ribbon at each end (about nine inches per side. See last week's post for details.), a pin, a pendant and a fabric flower. I put on the short necklace first and then tied the long necklace just under it. I attached the pin, pendant and fabric flower with twist ties. (In a future post, I'll show you how to make the fabric flower.)


I wouldn't necessarily wear it to, say, a rave or a pogo race, but overall it is pretty sturdy.

4 comments:

  1. Ooh! Love! Such a good idea - I have so many pieces that I dont wear - I am totally going to retransform them! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you going to start a new jewelry line or what? You totally should. And a pillow one too. I love your rosette pillow!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You crack me up! I love how your preference for minimalist interiors contrasts with your baroque jewelry. You could sit on your big white couch wearing that and the *necklace* would be all the decoration the room would need! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a point. Really what I like is chunky jewelry - huge and simple. I'm not really into all the rococo, although I don't mind making it for fun.

    ReplyDelete