Friday, April 23, 2010

Poor girl botox and big nerd glasses


Bangs and nerd glasses look good on her.


After four years of thinking about it, I finally got bangs.

My forehead is huge. I could slap a solar panel up there and power my whole building. And then there are the furrows that arrived all at once in the mid aughts and have been displayed front and center, like dents in the hood. Lots of reasons to get some bangs.

But, of course, I was scarred by the '80s. Back then, if you touched one hair of your bang, your whole hairdo moved because it was decoupaged with hairspray. For me, a naked forehead has been a symbol of naturalness, adulthood and sophistication.

Then I got a little older and the tag of 'adulthood' wasn't so special anymore. Last week, on the spur of the moment, I got the bangs. Saturday, with a group made up of a 14-year-old and a 21-year-old, I was mistaken for a college student.

In other news, big nerd glasses are back.


My mom sent me these bifocal glasses in a bag with a bunch of other stuff. I thought they were an old pair of hers. Or belonged to someone's grandmother. Then I remembered they were mine. I wore these when I was 13 years old with a Dorothy Hamill haircut and a mouth full of braces. I looked 90 when I was 13 and 21 when I'm 42. Maybe I'll look 13 when I'm 90.


Anyone old enough to have lived through big glasses once is wise enough not to do it again. Right?


Mr. Bromeliad, of course, always rocks the look.

15 comments:

  1. lol. Yes I've seen those big nerd glasses on a cute little vendor at one of the flea markets i go to. It is endearing on her, but I'm pretty sure I would just look like a straight-up nerd. lol.

    Happy Weekend to you!

    Bre @ http://theredbungalow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those glasses are awful, but yourself and your bangs are ever so pretty. And your eyes especially, which makes those glasses ever worse.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being mistaken for a college student would probably make my day!
    Quite breath-taking glasses, though :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love bangs! and yours look fab. and this post cracked me up, so thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HA HA HA! Love it. I had the big glasses from 5th grade to 9th (w/ the Dorthy Hamill too). I looked like one of the Golden Girls and I was only 11. ANd no, I will not go there again. TOo funny.

    Your bangs look good! I've had the furrow since I was a kid (alot of squinting, think I needed glasses earlier) but lack forehead. I tried them once and it looked like someone squished my head. Thanks for the laugh and the flashback!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The bangs are very cute! (I too have a very large forehead. I finally decided a big forehead just means one has room for more brains:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the bangs. Haven't braved them myself since the '80s, when I recall growing them out...but I think I have the opposite problem you do: my forehead is far too small!

    And the glasses I dig. Now wondering if I can dig up my mom's old Sally Jesse Raphael glasses....

    ReplyDelete
  8. its so nice to put a face on bromeliad, yours is very lovely big glasses not withstanding! ..bangs rock.....we call it a fringe here...never could understand why they were called bangs?

    ReplyDelete
  9. fringe for me too! It's a very natual look (and young too) hope it stays this way - book in for a trim so you don't leave it too long and end up hating it. My new sunnies are just as big :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. too funny! i was just telling my kids about my horrible Dororthy Hamill cut today!

    ReplyDelete
  11. :O
    glasses are awful, but yourself and your bangs are look fab.

    Love the bangs.


    :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The bangs are very cute! . I love Bangs.


    funny :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have what Tyra calls a "three finger forehead". And I go back and forth with bangs! Your bi-focals from the 70's crack me up. I too had the exact same Dorothy Hamill haircut!

    ReplyDelete