Wednesday, May 13, 2009

How to make modern tree branch silhouette art


Here's a great little DIY project for anyone
who is:
1. Embarrassingly cheap and

2. Can't draw

I have long admired the modern triptychs by Inhabit at Velocity Art and Design but at $116, they were out of my reach.

I already had four IKEA Ribba frames with photos I needed elsewhere. I kept searching the Internet for high-resolution images of tree branches but couldn't find anything I liked. Tom said why not use real tree branches. Duh.

To create a similar set of art panels, you will need:

a set of picture frames (for an inexpensive option, try cb2.com's record album frame for $15.)
posterboard cut to fit
tree branches
flashlight

Lay the posterboard on the floor and suspend a flashlight above the tree branches so that a shadow is cast on the posterboard and trace the shadow's outline.



Go over the pencil lines with a magic marker.


And hang.

16 comments:

  1. fantastic job. these are wonderful and they have a story all their own...so much better than store bought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i also am embarassingly cheap. very cute. and you could do it on canvasses and paint them bright colors! so smart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, these are fabulous!!! Thanks so much for sharing, I'll be linking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Insanely creative! woohoo; another project to put on my list.........

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a neat idea and you did such a nice job! Thanks for sharing it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the positive reinforcement. Now maybe I'll finish my next project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great idea. I heard of renting a overhead projector but this is MUCH simplier! Thanks so much for the tip!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you simply outlined the shapes and left it at that. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. very very creative...good job...thanks for sharing it....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved it! great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. looked at this post last year. i still like the idea and am considering it for my dining room. if only i had cool branches. I'm too late in the season for our apple tree, which would have been perfect. delayed intelligence, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Julie, you can get a similar silhouette at marthastewart.com. Search for cherry silhouette. She has a pretty good template.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you it is a good support, now to make modern tree branch silhouette art is simple by using your advice. Thank you

    ReplyDelete