Monday, February 25, 2013

My DIY J. Crew Flower Lattice necklace


Get your spring florals going early with this DIY version of J. Crew's Flower Lattice necklace.

This project is a great way to repurpose old brooches and does not damage or permanently alter them. You can easily disassemble or rearrange this necklace later if you want your pins back.


Here's the inspiration necklace, which is no longer available in the multi-colored version. (You can still get the crystal one for $228. )


 Here's the real one again captured by Tommy Ton for Style.com.

I spent zero dollars to make mine since I used vintage brooches I already had, along with some Tori Spelling pendants and chains I had on hand.


To make the Flower Lattice Necklace, you will need:
  • necklace template, available for free at examiner.com
  • 9 brooches - 3 small, 3 medium and 3 large. You can also use large round earrings or rhinestone buttons or Styled by Tori Spelling pendants.
  • elastic metallic thread
  • 2-6 jump rings
  • 1 chain with clasp - I used a Styled by Tori Spelling necklace top since it gives you a chain and lobster clasp for only a few bucks.



First, print out my necklace template and use it to arrange your pins as shown above, otherwise it gets very confusing as you assemble the necklace.


Start with the bottom of the necklace. Flip two of the pins over and tie them together with elastic metallic thread as shown above. Pull tight and knot.


Tie a third pin or button to the first two. Flip the necklace over from time to time to make sure the pieces are laying the way you like. If you don't like it, just cut the thread and try again.


Continue tying pins together. Eventually the bottom seven pins will be lashed together like this on the back. Trim the extra thread.


The front will look like the photo above.


Next, use a jump ring or two to attach the last two pins, one on each side of the necklace.


Then attach the chain to the top two pins.


Have a spring moment.

21 comments:

  1. I just love how this turned out! It looks vintage and modern at the same time. Too cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow! you did an amazing job...I'm so jealous.

    Tikaa
    www.totallytikaa.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. these brooches are gorgeous! Love the end result. Featuring this today on my FB page. xox, d.
    www.inspirationrealisation.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! I love it. JC jewelry is so expensive, this is a perfect copy! You inspire me!
    xo Nancy
    Powellbrowerhome.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful way to use special brooches without permanently altering them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So great! I love that you have all those brooches on hand. I had a collection in the 5th grade (mostly birds) but I only saved a few favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Genius! I have to do this... I have a bowl full of pins I have collected.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am obsessed with the flower lattice necklace, and I will be trying your tutorial immediately. I just did a little post about this post on my blog, I hope you do not mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. I'll take all the publicity I can get.

      Delete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this! I have so many vintage brooches from family; this seems to be a great way to make them all come together. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for the template! I made the necklace out of vintage enamel flower brooches (I went through a collecting phase after seeing so many of them on Glee). Here's a picture of the finished product http://instagram.com/p/ZQ71HsKj46/

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. awesome idea! great alternative to paying that much for the real thing ;)

    http://cafecraftea.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hopped over from the Crafts Unleased blog, I make jewelry too and love your style! following you now!

    ReplyDelete