Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Best J. Crew DIY projects


J. Crew does not inspire DIY nearly as often as its retail cousin Anthropologie. Anthro is know for quirky accessories and embellishments while J. Crew is known for actual clothes. J. Crew does get knocked off  - but by Target and H&M more than you and me.

However, there are still some great J. Crew DIYs out there.  I'll be sharing my own remake of the J. Crew Lattice necklace later this week.

Above, Anna at In Honor of Design made the J.Crew shirred maxi ($128) for $10 using liquid stitch.

A number of people made iterations of the J. Crew heart or sequin heart sweaters, including Jan Marie for Say Yes to Hoboken, seen below.


See painted heart tops with freezer paper at Bliss Bloom Blog and at With an IE.

Speaking of fabric paint, Made in Pretoria did the polka dot pants.

Stephanie at Henry Happened recently did the trompe l’oeil shirt from J. Crew kids. For herself, mind you.


Still on shirts, Sarah at Welcome to the Good Life made the striped sequin tee below.


Sew Petite Gal made a version of the black trimmed Merino Cambon Cardigan.


Donatella at Inspiration and Realization made the J. Crew Applique Mum Tee from scraps from her husband's dress shirts.


And she made several versions of  J. Crew's Sunbleached Applique tee.


And I almost forgot my own DIY version of the ever popular J. Crew pencil skirt refashioned from an oversized vintage skirt.



On to jewelry. One of my faves is the Crystal Venus Flytrap necklace made by Dina at A Splendid Assemblage.


I made the J. Crew Flower Lattice necklace. The tutorial is at this post.



Beth at Owls Wake Up  made the J.Crew Tesselate necklace.




The J. Crew bubble necklace is now available almost everywhere for less than $15. But you can still DIY it if you'd like a color that not everybody else in the world is wearing. See Liz's tutorial at Dance to the Radio.

Sew Petite Gal shows you how to crochet the currently out-of-stock OGJM Hyacinth necklace with a diagram and video.


Liz from Expressive Style made a version of this Crystal Stripe Link Bracelet with chain from Lowes.



Last are accessories. Kristina from Simply Bold (along with a few others) DIY'd J. Crew's Anima belt.


Lish Dorset made the J. Crew Candy Striped clutch from a plain purse.


Did I miss any good ones?

6 comments:

  1. You missed mine!!! :)
    http://www.inspirationrealisation.com/2011/07/mens-shirts-applique-tee.html

    http://www.inspirationrealisation.com/2011/05/flowers-on-and-on.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! I also forgot one of my own projects. I updated the post to include them all.

      Delete
    2. thank you for including them!! :)

      Delete
  2. Awesome round-up... I went nuts over that version of the flytrap necklace. So good!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. funny--this makes me realize that J Crew no longer sends me catalogs. I feel so out of touch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post! Thanks for including my tutorial!

    ReplyDelete