Monday, August 6, 2012

My DIY tie-dye macrame necklace



I finally finished my multi-hippie-craft tie-dye and macrame necklace that was started in June.

To make this necklace, you will need one package of white laundry rope. I got mine at Walmart.

Tie a series of lanyard or crown knots. For a photo and video tutorial for tying the knots, see this article. (It's not that hard.)

For details on the dyeing process, see this post.  I used Tulip One-Step dye. Basically you fill a prepared squirt bottle with water, shake it to mix in the dye and squirt the dye on to the necklace.

Let the dye set overnight then rinse the necklace in cold water and allow it to dry.

Use fabric or similar glue to glue the last knot on each end of the necklace. Pull the ends of the knot tight and allow to dry. Then bring the four loose cords together in the center and glue. I tried different clamps but nothing seemed to work like fingers. So just hang onto it for a minute until the glue sets. Do the same on the other end of the necklace.


After the glue dries completely trim off the ends and melt them over a stove or using a lighter. This will prevent fraying.


Then squeeze the ends into the biggest end caps you can find. These are 8 mm, and they barely made it. (I recently found larger ones at a reasonable price at Toho Shoji.)


Then, because I lacked matching chain, I pieced together a series of jump rings to make a short chain and then added a lobster claw clasp.


I think if I were to make another one, I'd make it shorter, thicker (if possible) and with a higher contrast application of dye.


Before I forget, last chance for the $60 Mod Podge giveaway.

14 comments:

  1. Beautifully elegant, and they'd also make utterly stylish tiebacks for plain white linen curtains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty, I bet it looks great with a plain white T

    Xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes, this is so pretty. The colors are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved your other dyed necklaces, and really like this one too. For being one mega-hippie project, it looks pretty stylish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so cute. I'm so envious of your macrame skills. And very impressed how you worked out the whole closure (the caps and the chain and all). xx
    Maya

    ReplyDelete
  6. p.s.
    I forgot to tell you. I finally have my post up about the Silk Screen Kit you've mailed me :)
    http://byebyesoccermom.blogspot.com/2012/08/diy-silk-screen-printing-vs-painting-on.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coo. I will check it out. I also got to work on the surfer t-shirt project. Post coming soon.

      Delete
  7. It looks amazing! So impressive :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like this. Love the colour too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Replies
    1. I think my package was a 50-foot length of rope. This made a fairly long necklace.

      Delete
  10. cool! Can't wait to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your macrame'. Compliments from www.annodareconstile.it

    ReplyDelete
  12. Compliments. I love your macrame'. Elena from http://www.annodareconstile.it

    ReplyDelete