Wednesday, May 5, 2010

DIY Wednesday: Blueprint design storage boxes


Today I'm going to take a little break from our series on how to make new jewelry from your old jewelry for the sake of you home decor folks who would be happy lounging around in a feed sack as long as it were on an artfully styled sofa.

To help you with your spring cleaning, I present these cool storage boxes, made from discarded blueprints, cardboard boxes, tape, a magnet and a washer.

You'll need one large blueprint (technically they are black and white these days) for each box bottom and half a blueprint for a lid. You can use doublesided tape or spray adhesive to stick the paper to the box and regular Scotch tape to tape down the "tabs."




Use your box to create a pattern. Trace the bottom of your box, then flip it on its short side and trace. Flip back to center then on the other short side. Then do the two long sides.






Slide each side about one inch out from the center and trace a second line. This creates a tab to fold over the top. For the two short sides, slide one inch to the left and right to create side "tabs."












To make a removeable label holder, you'll need a piece of card stock (or find a nicely colored piece of cardboard from the trash) a magnet clip and a washer. Cut the cardboard to a size you like and clip it.


Put the washer inside the box and line up the magnet on the outside.



Now try your boxes out.



15 comments:

  1. These are SO cute!!! Funnily enough, I just posted on Jonathan Adler's new wrapping papers, and how they'd make great decoupage - actually, they'd look great wrapped around boxes like this! I'm going to link up to your post with that suggestion.
    Also, the washer/clip idea is great. I haven't seen that before on storage boxes.
    -SF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute. I love this idea. -Cristi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are lovely! I have some topo maps I've been saving for something. When I get the right kind of boxes, I should do something like this with them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so awesome! I'm definitely going to try them out. Only... where do I get big blueprints!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. these are cool! i'm such a sucker for cute little boxes (i live in a small apartment and have LOADS of stuff...it's a nice little way to help me get organized)...i'm thinking this would be much more affordable than hitting up The Container Store. :)

    Bre @ http://theredbungalow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look great - I love a nice set of matching boxes!

    Happy to tell you you've won the CSN giveaway over at my place. Could you drop me a line with your email address? I think that's all they need.
    stylestruggler@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cool diy. I'm a big fan of the architectural look of framed blueprints in the home, this is a new take!

    xx FujiFiles

    ReplyDelete
  8. these are really cute... where do you get blueprints?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Received the floral frogs, and they're lovely. Thanks again for such a great and useful giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Are those beautiful, perfect shoes yours?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found the blueprints in the recycle bin at work and asked permission to use them. If you work for a big company, your design, telecom or maintenance department may routinely make prints. Or you might try a tech school with an AutoCad class.

    Yes, Mise, the shoes are mine. I use them (no kidding) as paperweights.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simple and brilliant. I could use about 20 of these!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cool. And very green...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are fantastic! Great idea.... Never seen boxes covered like this. Brilliant.

    ReplyDelete