Wednesday, December 2, 2009

DIY Wednesday: Make a curtain room divider


This post could be subtitled 'All Good Things Come to Those Who Scrounge Regularly.'

A few months ago I posted about wanting a curtain to divide off the living room from the hallway for when we have guests over (since somebody ends up sleeping and changing clothes in the living room.) I went on and on about the possibility of stripes or even a chevron but concluded that I would find something free or cheap in about six months.

I was wrong. I found something free in two months.




I came across this embroidered fabric in a bin of discards. It turned out to be almost exactly double the length of my desired curtain and almost exactly the width of the entryway.



Bonus: The edges are scalloped, so no sewing required to finish the sides.



I decided to make this a real room divider e.g. a double-sided curtain, so that the curtain will look good from either side. This was done basically by throwing the length over the top of the curtain rod and hemming the bottoms. I then sewed the bottom edges together.

The fabric, which is even studded with little fake gem stones, is way more interesting than anything I would have picked out myself. If I were paying for new fabric, I would have played it safe. As it is, I think the curtain adds a bit of a Marrakesh vibe to the place.


Of course, now everything else looks drab in comparison.

9 comments:

  1. I can't believe you got that fabric for free! Looks good and certainly does the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful fabric! your new curtained room divider looks lovely in your home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great! Love the va-va-voom that it adds to the whole room.

    xo,
    s (& j)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great! Love all the black and white accents in your home.

    I just wanted to send you a big thank you for your sweet comment a couple of days ago. It's been a hard couple of days, but it's felt so great to have many people thinking of me.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. things do not look drab! love your idea and your patience is quite inspiring to me (i tend to get fed up waiting and then spend and regret).

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOOKS AWESOME! I'm a firm believing in scrounging regularly...

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW, beautiful! I never find things like this... An upside to living in NYC?

    ReplyDelete