Monday, August 3, 2009

The deck gets green


Last weekend we got two new pots for the deck, bringing us to saturation point for a balcony that is 16 feet long and 4 feet wide. The pots, a good deal from Home Depot, look like stone but are pure plastic and incredibly light.

Dabbling in some succulent rescue, I picked up an overgrown jade plant and cut off a bunch of its arms, which then languished in a tray for three weeks but did not die (this is called 'callusing'), which in my opinion makes succulents kind of creepy. That and the name. Succulent.

I stuck all of the bits and parts into one of the new pots. The mommy jade plant is already sprouting new arms. This may be my perfect plant - happiest when chopped up and denied water.



The white pot on the end is sown with arugula and micro greens. I don't know which are which and I don't have the heart to harvest the micros.

And here is our fountain, built by Tom. You'll never guess what it was in its former life.

6 comments:

  1. those pics remind me of my sister's apt in the city!! love your great blog ~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks much. You have a gorgeous blog yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. now, I need to know - what was the fountain?

    xo,
    cristin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will reveal the answer Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You big tease! I want to know now . . . And callusing succulents? Sounds kinda dirty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks beautiful out there! You're right, I won't ever guess what that fountain was made from. I'm excited to come back and see how you made it!

    ReplyDelete