Friday, January 18, 2013

Pinned It/Wore It - Work appropriate lace top


Lace tops. So pretty, but I've had a hard time figuring them out. You don't want to look too girlish and definitely don't want to look like you're trotting around in lingerie.

So welcome to my second Pinterest pass/fail for outfits.


Kate Middleton handles the see-through aspect with a white tank top. But still a little fancy for every day. (Unless you're royalty.)




Others let the underthings shine right through.


Source: fellt.com via Samantha on Pinterest

But Valentino in Harper's Bazaar gave me an idea. White lace (girly) with some button-down white cuffs and collar (starchy).

Source: google.com via Samantha on Pinterest
 

This was super easy to pull off and surprisingly warm. (Another drawback of lacy fashion - the chill factor.)  I wore a plain old white button down shirt under the lace. In retrospect, I could have tucked the top in.
 
 
 
I actually wore the lace top backwards, which got mixed reviews. So I hand-stitched the seam shut. It was too confusing. People kept trying to fix it for me.
 

The Valentino contrast collar lace top is $1,890.

My outfit was 100% thrifted and totaled less than $5.

You can get a lace top for $10. There's no reason to spend much more. Victoria's Secret (surprise surprise) is a good resource as are teenybopper stores.
  • The most affordable and closest to the original is at Kohl's and currently on sale for $9.99 and available in a bunch of colors.
  • Forever 21 has a similar one for $11.50.
  • Charlotte Russe has a peplum version in white for $14.99.
For me, this is a Pinterest pass with two thumbs up.

Have you attempted a lace top?

3 comments:

  1. Think your girlie + starched collar combo worked great. I would have complimented your creativity for wearing the top backwards; I've also worn cardigans backwards as well as v-neck pullovers. I just purchased a top from the Target / Neiman Marcus holiday collection (at 70% off) that is a sleeveless black lace (sorta) on the front over a nude shell (front and back). Planned on wearing it come Spring with khaki's or white casual pants but now I'm going to try it with a white collar shirt ... might be a stretch of the idea but hey, its shopping my closet! Also, I've had soooo many compliments on the "iconic" knock-off necklace you posted about from Wet Seal before Christmas ... thanks for posting about that great deal! I got two of them, should have bought 10 to give as gifts :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Confession. I bought three, only one of which became a gift.

      Delete
  2. Looks great! perfectly work appropriate but trendy. Wearing backward was a nice touch-- I like the high crew neck.

    ReplyDelete