Thursday, January 31, 2013

New Zealand international style


I just returned from my one-month trip to New Zealand, Thailand and Myanmar.

While in NZ, I attended an international convention where many delegates wore traditional clothes representing their culture. Not your typical street fashion, but inspiring none the less.

Above, the Maori rocked black lips long before the Goths did.


Korean-style color.

Hindi bling.
 
Maori poi balls used in dancing and later tied at the waist.


Real people can wear chiffon.


I call this the paradise dress. I saw two or three people wearing it. The print looks like a tropical garden.


Spikes and arm parties are universally popular.


In Tonga, men get to wear skirts.


And in Scotland, men get to carry bags (otherwise known as sporran).


Traditional woven belt from Tonga called a keikei


Another keikei detail.


Purse made from what I believe is lacquered tapa cloth, which comes from bark.


Color blocking Korean style.


Bracelet made from coconut shell.

 
Maori feather earring.

5 comments:

  1. Must have been a wonderful time, just a glimpse of what the future holds...life without end at last :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful stuff! Hope you bought some things... I would've grabbed that bracelet, if it was on sale! Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't buy much in New Zealand but I sure did in Myanmar. Will share some in a future post.

      Delete
  3. Wow, what a visual feast. Must have been an amazing trip.
    New Zealand is definitely on my to-visit list... just need to make it happen.

    ReplyDelete