Friday, April 13, 2012

My DIY No. 2 pencil skirt


As my discerning audience well knows, the pencil skirt is it right now.

J.Crew jumped on this trend with both ballet-flat covered feet. The No. 2 Pencil Skirt is synonymous with pencil skirt coolness, comes in every color of the rainbow and costs a whopping $130.


Mine has a real zipper, wasn't hard to do and cost less than $3.

The secret is thrift-store shopping with a very wide net when it comes to size.


Here's what I started off with - a size 16 skirt in a pleasing color.


I took in the sides and faked out the waistband.


And ended up with this.


And, just as J.Crew advertises, it's incredibly versatile.

Get the complete steps on how I altered my pencil skirt at examiner.com.

See 10 ways to wear a J.Crew pencil skirt via A J.Crew Aficionada.

6 comments:

  1. WOW! That's beyond fabulous!! x Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! Makes me wish I could sew. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Uh...you've done it again. So clever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought the top pix was from one of the fashion magazines.....you go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shut up! You need to do a step by step. For some reason I can sew slipcovers but cannot tailor to save my life. My only option would be eating cake until size 16 fit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's a step by step at the examiner.com link. But then again, cake works.

    ReplyDelete