Monday, October 3, 2011

Be strange, rearrange


My quick lamp purchase decision making is now followed by extended lamp ambivalence, related to location and style.

There are an amazing number of ways to set up one small room. Unhappy with my floor lamps, I moved them across the room and installed two diminutive table lamps on either side of the sofa as a test.


I'm liking the table lamp option, even though my test lamps and tables are too wimpy for the job.


Fortunately, the world of tall economical table lamps is a large one. Below are two from Walmart in the under $50 range.



The other side of the room looks like this and casts a warm bright glow.


I'm still toying with swapping out the benign nickel-base-with-white-shade combo for IKEA's hot new Januari brass floor lamp base, which is only $20 and which seems to only be available in Paramus, New Jersey.

My friend Summer used to say "brass is not class" but times have changed.



And I'm still considering the brass base/black shade combo.



None of this really fits my current style (minimalist global beach).

Have you tried brass?

And help me to explain to Mr. Bromeliad why four lamps is not an excessive number for a living room.

8 comments:

  1. Brass has not grown on me yet, still there is time.

    I love your wall color (with armoir) What color is that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's wallpaper, which was put up before we moved to this apartment. It's beige with a touch of gold and grey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Cardigan Junkie thinks lamps are not necessary too! I don't see how, given all the pretty options.

    I like the brass/black shade combo myself!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!!!! That is by IKEA??! Just when I rearranged everything so that I wouldn't need a floor lamp... I hear you on the rearranging syndrome with lamps and furniture. I've been doing that myself this week.133rd time is the charm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i like the brass floor lamp base. wonderful wallpaper! warm hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, the ones pictured aren't from IKEA, but IKEA does now have a brass floor lamp base ($17)and a black shade ($30). But the base is currently out of stock most places.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! I just discovered your beautiful blog and I love it! You're an artist!
    I also do DIY .... I leave the link to have a look!

    http://www.desdetenerifeconamor.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. The base is in stock in Austin! I liked it but couldn't find a shade that went with it, I wish it was just a bit thicker - it has a really thin body.

    Tell the Mr. that many designers say lighting is one of the most important elements in a room!

    In other news, your ceiling light is excellent. Love it.

    ReplyDelete