Friday, December 31, 2010

Inspired in January: Books


What's better in the dead of winter than curling up with a good book? How about decorating with them.

Books are good for so much more than the obvious. Stacked artfully, they are both furniture and accessory.

Books are big in fashion as well with the rise of the book clutch - there's Kate Spade, Olympia Le Tan's needlepoint version, Greyhound's leather version and Rebound Designs version (the only one actually made from a book) - all of which will set you back $150 to $325 - if you can even find one.

I hope to have a very simple book clutch DIY for you in the near future.

In the meantime, check out this video for making a DIY book clutch with fabric sides and wood handles.

Below, some stylish stacking and clutchable clutches.













Do you stack your books or shelve them? (Why is it when I stack my books on the floor, they just look discarded?) Would you cut up a book to make a clutch?

What's inspiring you in January? Link up your projects or inspirations below.

Images: Via We Heart It via Plush Palate; via This is Glamorous; Elle Decor; the Selby via Sanity Fair; the Selby via Sanity Fair; Real Simple; Skona Hem; Solid Frog via Fondly Seen; A Pair and a Spare; Kate Spade; Rebound Designs; Olympia Le Tan; Greyhound.

8 comments:

  1. I adore books! I got a load of them for Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love using books in my decor... I usually stack them on night stands or end tables to give the illusion of different heights :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the look of stacked books (I think my favorite is the set design from Pushing Daisies--I can't find a screen capture online, alas) but find it never works for me--at my house, books are too hard to get to when they're stacked instead of shelved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Book into cute little purse is absolutely ingenious. Will large, prestigious coffee-table book into laptop computer bag be next?

    ReplyDelete
  5. you can't go wrong with placing books anywhere and everywhere. i think we have them in every room in our home (including the bathroom). i'm not crazy about the kate spade "book bag" as i like books just the way they are.

    ReplyDelete
  6. rather than curling up, will have to try to keep mine dry and sand free - but this same time of year is usually booktime for me too. Loved the purse!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm a stacker- currently, i have four stacks under my xmas tree (which really needs to come down).

    happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the look of a stack of books in a styled photo, but in reality, find it looks either messy or contrived. I do like the look of lots of shelves though.

    ReplyDelete