Wednesday, June 16, 2010

DIY Wednesday: Make a felt suzani pillow


Remember that envelope pillow we learned to make two weeks ago? Here is where we get to do something interesting with it.


Many of you may remember the home of New York artist Anne Becker, featured in Elle Decor. Check out the suzani on the love seat. I took the colors and shapes directly from this photo and reintepreted them with felt.

I'm currently at work on a full-sized suzani. In the meantime, I've uploaded all the templates needed to make the suzani pillow pictured above.


I'm most proud of the suzani wheel template. You can get it here. The fuchia circle and small pieces are here. The smaller pink circle is here.

Cut the pieces out of felt or other non-fraying fabric. Then center the two flowers and, using fabric glue, attach the small one to the larger one. (If you're ambitious, you can applique the pieces. However, fabric glue works pretty well with a thick fabric like felt.)


Center the combined flower on to your pillow cover and glue.


Center the white wheel. Fold one side up to apply glue and then lay it back down. Do the same with the other half.



Add one small flower to each corner and position the yellow flourishes on either side.


Allow glue to dry and check for any loose spots.

p.s. Don't forget the jewelry frame holder giveaway, which is ending soon.

14 comments:

  1. This is such a great DIY project!! Can't wait to give it a try! I'll send you the pics when I'm done :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out fantastic - I love the design and all the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my....these are amazing pillows! You should sell them somewhere :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is fantastic! So talented. I am very glad to have found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Pretty and simple. Maybe I can even try this one?

    I can tell you one thing: some etsy seller is downloading your templates right now.

    You're a cottage industry unto yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty pillow! Thanks for the templates and tutorial, looks easy enough for me to even try!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE this project! Quick question: can the pieces be glued on before inserting the pillow in the cover or does the pillow have to be inside the cover? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ana,

    You can do it either way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you! I made it and it turned out great! You got me hooked, so I hope you don't mind if I ask you another question: How do you go about creating the big white template? Did you use a program of some sort or did you just eyeball it? I have a lot of ideas but don't know how to make sure that a specific round motif will fit a particular square, or that it will be equally distributed along the circle. I hope my question is clear. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Ana, So glad it turned out for you.

    I just eyeballed the design, looking for the repeated pattern. Then I tried to figure out a way to make a pattern that would fit on 8.5 by 11 paper. So, I decided to fold the circle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This pillow is just fantastic!! Such a great (and simple) way to jazz up a plain pillow.

    ReplyDelete