Tuesday, June 15, 2010

DIY acrylic storage trays


As mentioned yesterday, I've been craving lucite storage. This is because lucite or acrylic allows you to see through the storage and examine your loot. This is also because I'm a 70s child who loves shiny plastic things.

Acrylic storage doesn't cost much, but I challenged myself to find acrylic storage that costs nothing at all, and I succeeded. Can you guess what my stacking trays are made from?


In its former life, my big tray was the World's Ugliest Artwork (I may like 70s plastic but I do not care for 70s photography). This plastic box frame shown above was being tossed.


I pulled the photo and cardboard filler out of the back and had myself a tray.


The two small trays started out as a candy box. Someone ate the candy without sharing and tossed the box, which I pulled from the recycle bin. I peeled off the label and had what you see above.


The big tray became home to some of my favorite necklaces and pins.


The two smaller trays display some of my massive pin collection, organized by color.


Stacked, they still reveal what lies beneath.

Have you upcycled anything good lately?

8 comments:

  1. Super clever! I wonder if they sell those frames at the dollar store?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That... is awesome! When I read your other post, I was thinking "Hm, a cheap source of these could be office trays from Staples or something," but you managed to do it for free! Incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very smart. my jewelry is a big mess and i'm always looking for options to store. now i just need to make space for an acrylic tray.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How smart are you?! I'm going to start looking around for boxes to be.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Clever you!

    Most recent upcycle was to dig out an old wrought-iron "wall art" from the depths of my closet, give it a good coat of white spray paint and rehang in my turquoise bath. Very cheery and Palm Beach in there now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a perfectly elegant solution. And free!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very resourceful! It's such a good idea to use something clear for jewelry so you can actually see everything. I'm totally going to copy you.

    ReplyDelete