Thursday, August 29, 2013

My DIY lacquered white tray


As far as tutorials go, this could be summed up as follows:
  • Pick up something off the street
  • Paint it white.

I like West Elm's white lacquered tray but not enough to pay $60.


Someone in the neighborhood was throwing out this lightly finished wood tray.


I gave it a once over with a Scotch pad then gave it one coat of white acrylic paint.


Then I used a can of white gloss spray paint I thrifted. The bad thing about second-hand cans of paint is you never know how much has been used. Sure enough I ran out before I got a true glossy finish.


But it's good enough for being almost totally free, organizes my magazines and brightens up a corner of my bedroom. The little bird and the vase were also thrifted.

Have you successfully painted a second-hand find?

4 comments:

  1. perfect! It doesn't get any easier and look more chic than this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hallelujah for a glorious piece from the trash destined for much more. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great. Can I ask what spray paint you used, the finish is perfect. It works great next to your screen, like a boutique hotel!

    Take Care
    Nicolette

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes! it looks so chic! $60 wasn't a right price to pay anyway :)

    ReplyDelete