Monday, August 5, 2013

Thrifted and gifted


My latest and greatest thrift is this cobalt blue silk column skirt.

Two tips for you from this find. In the spirit of 'leave the gun, take the cannoli', when thrifting for skirts, be sure to check out the suit section. Leave the jacket, take the skirt.

This skirt came with an enormous, long, dated jacket. I left it. Love love love the skirt.

Second tip. This skirt hung in somebody's closet unharmed since the 1990s. I wore it one day and got pizza sauce on it, sent it to dry cleaners, who replaced the sauce with a white spot. A workaround for light colored spots - dab with a permanent fabric marker a shade lighter than your fabric. Heat set with an iron.

Two tips at one very low price.

4 comments:

  1. Why have I never thought of of looking at the suits for skirts? Brilliant. What kind of fabric marker did you use? I would think you would need a brand with a wide selection of colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! They are called Fabri-Mark by a company called Dri-Mark. It's a pretty big set of markers - like 20 or so.

      Delete
  2. I'm in a royal blue fase for the past year or two!! this is such a great find! I'm not a big fan of dry cleaning - most of the time they made mess on my spots... I usually go better with hand wash. for oily spills try talc or chalk before washing! xox, d.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Words of wisdom. I'll keep that in mind next time.

      Delete