Thursday, March 21, 2013

My DIY gallery and a blogiversary


After five years of blogging, I finally broke down and made a DIY Gallery. It was a ton of work but not impossible to do. It's worse if you wait five years.

I made a DIY thumbnail photo gallery tutorial if you want to give it a try, complete with screen shots, code and so forth.

Thanks to Laura at Laura's Crafty Life for the html code to get me started and to Erica at Caught on a Whim for a gallery layout inspiration and for pointing me to Laura.

It's all there in a gallery now, five years of projects, no matter how poorly executed or badly photographed.

By the way, does it feel like everybody's blogs got incredibly beautiful and professional all of a sudden? I'm still in awkward blog puberty but it was worse in 6th grade . . . I mean in 2011. I think I've come so far and then you see somebody else's fabulousness. But then again, their parents probably did that science fair project for them . . . I mean, they probably paid a nice professional for a solid design.

Thank you to my loyal readers for sticking with me. All 10 of you.

16 comments:

  1. I am sure you mean 10,000! Your in my First Reads category on Bloglovin! I know what you mean about blogs...hard to keep up, but I come here for content not for blog design :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I am honored to be in your first reads.

      Delete
  2. 5 years down, hopefully many more to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. since 5 is my favorite and lucky number, I consider it as a milestone! congratulations!
    It takes forever to make the gallery and organized the blog, go and treat yourself with a cake !!!
    I like your blog and projects!
    d
    www.inspirationrealisation.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much. I'm celebrating with a bagel right now.

      Delete
  4. Happy blogiversary!
    I'm on Wordpress, but I haven't experimented much with things like the gallery feature. I tend to play it very safe with posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Blogiversary! The DIY gallery looks great. I need to do that too, thanks for the tutorial.
    Sorry, I have not been blogging and reading other blogs for awhile and still not back full force.
    I know what you mean about other blogs looking professional. I think yours looks very nice though. I wish I could pay someone to redesign my blog but as a rule I try not to spend money I don't have :)
    Speaking of professional looking photo.. love the one in this post. How did you do all white background? Looks nice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi. It's a painted wall at a community center where my in-laws were given a surprise anniversary party. Then I lightened it a bit in photoshop. I think you can get similar results with Photoscape, which is free software.

      Delete
  6. There's a saying that content is king. Well, all the blog design in the world is no good if you don't have funny, compelling posts that keep us hooked! Fortunately, I think Bromeliad looks great - as does the new handy dandy gallery - but it's the headlines, humor and helpful hints that really keep me coming back for more. Even if I haven't commented in about 2 years, I'm still here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, nice to hear from you. Thanks for the support.

      Delete
  7. Just found your blog and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just found your blog and love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just found your blog and love it!

    ReplyDelete