Friday, October 8, 2010

Inspired in October: Animal prints


News flash - animal prints are in for fall . . . as they have been every fall for as long as there have been animals.

Happily, I am more than up on this trend, owning no less than four animal print coats or jackets and two animal print pillows (this is after thinning the herd last fall.)

Animal prints are the perfect high/low design option. Animal prints run trademark free, and they are cheap and plentiful.


My new thing is animal-prints-other-than-zebra-and-leopard for clothes, to wit this ocelot print from Coach. (Note also the pairing of animal prints with other patterns. Would you try this?)


When it comes to home design, I'm loving uncommon prints or even common ones done in unusual ways. My new fave - caramel-y kitty colors in home decor like leopard, jaguar and tiger.


I usually visualize leopard and related prints in some layered traditional setting a la Bunny Williams. But look how great they are with minimalism, modernism and my always favorite grey.


You could get your animal print in fashion and home decor at the same time by hanging your coat out to be seen as do the ladies of Rue.


How about you? Do you do animal prints in the closet? In the home?

And what's inspiring you in October? Link up your projects and inspiration below.

Images: Aureta via Full House; Coach;Veronique Mati via The Diversion Project; Elle Decor; Plush Palette.

10 comments:

  1. Just found your blog! Look forward to following :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a few animal prints in smaller items in my closet (and I just bought a cardigan, but with purple in the print too, so it doesn't scream animal).
    I'm not sure I have any in my home yet, but I'd certainly like to. I like how they can jazz up a room and be a bit surprising.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want a touch of zebra in our game room... and we have our two bengal cats for the striped look :) leopard is not allowed in our house, though, because Nick's seen enough leopard in his lifetime due to his mom's obsession with the animal print...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't get into animal prints. Though certain people can make them look elegant, I've never owned any and the hide rug cannot end soon enough, so far as I'm concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can never get enough of animal prints, whether its decor or fashion. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love a touch of it in both, wardrobe and Home. I still want a zebra rug!!

    xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love animal prints,, especially scarfs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love it--you even have animal print in your blog header! I do love animal prints, but for some odd reason I have yet to by any for myself. But when I see them in fashion or in interiors, I do always think "lovely!"

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have always been an animal-print lover, having gone through several phases of the animal-print loving. Its definitely one of those things that is easily overdone and needs to be done with a deft hand to be chic. Unfortunately, it is a MAJOR pet peeve of my man's so I probably won't be outfitting my home in it any time soon. I do, however, have a pair of satin ballet flats that I don't plan on giving up any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. that first image is breathtaking. pure genius.

    ReplyDelete