Wednesday, March 3, 2010

DIY Wednesday: Three ways to upcycle silk flowers




Here are three ideas for those scads of silk flowers you see languishing on the shelves of Goodwill (or, worse yet, in your living room.)

Monica Ewing at Crafty Nest took an ugly poinsetta garland and turned it into a stunning pendant light.

Disney at Ruffles and Stuff took a 25 cent thrift store clutch and covered it with Dollar Store silk flower petals.

Danny Seo at Daily Danny soaked his in plaster to create faux ceramic flowers. (Messy but original.)

8 comments:

  1. i've used mine to make a curtain tie-back ,which very coincidently i've just blogged about. That wow pendant puts my attempts in the halfpenny place .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much for your comment , that makes me very happy, . and hello there you,ms bromeliad.... , I"ve been following since meet me at mikes directed me to you flower cushion tutorial.....it's on my to do list ....i think its beautiful . My plan for my mannequin involves fabric flowers. love your necklace too.
    elaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love all of these ideas. So much better than a bouquet of fake roses!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The light fixture looks kind of like one I've been coveting recently. Hmmm . . . I wonder if I could pull it off . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. How could two things that are so right (silk and flowers) be so frequently wrong when put together? I like these ideas, especially the ceramics.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The light fixture is a brilliant idea. I've been looking for something like that - but I'm not very good at DIY projects...!

    ReplyDelete